Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Truck Shuts Down

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
This has happened a couple of times. The engine shuts off instantaneously while driving, There is no hesitation or sputter, the engine just shuts down.
The engine will restart immediately as if nothing happened.

I'm thinking electrical as in distributor, engine control box, or coil. The distributor is a NOS about 3 years old. The engine control box and coil are also about 3 years old.

Could this also be ignition switch, which is fairly new also?

Truck is a '78 F-150, stock 400 engine(rebuilt about 7 years ago with 30,000 miles on rebuild)

Any thoughts?

Fellro

Staff member
You didn't wreck it since you lost power??? Pesky GM drivers.. ;)

I used to have that problem with a 79 Mustang, except there usually was a little delay before it would fire. I would be cruising along and it would be like I turned the key off. A few minutes later it would fire like nothing was wrong and off we go for an hour or so then do it all over again. Control box was the problem.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
You didn't wreck it since you lost power??? Pesky GM drivers.. ;)

I used to have that problem with a 79 Mustang, except there usually was a little delay before it would fire. I would be cruising along and it would be like I turned the key off. A few minutes later it would fire like nothing was wrong and off we go for an hour or so then do it all over again. Control box was the problem.

:rofl2:

smilieIagree I drove a 78 dent for a company I worked for , (years ago) that did the same thing. We replaced the control box and the problem went away.

Thank you, both. Reliable ignition control modules are getting hard to find.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I would also point to the ICM. I would also check the wires around the distributor and IcM connectors for corrosion to make sure there is good contact.

Yea, I am debating all the time to maybe switch to use a GM module to replace the ford module in my 75. I need the green color one which no parts stores here carry them in stock, so I need an extra one all the time in case something happens. GM modules are a dime a dozen. I don't mind using GM parts if they work and I can get them anywhere.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/ign...y-trick-hei-module-inside-duraspark-case.html

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you all. Good info on the link, Buck.

I still have the original ICM, that had no problems. I might put that one back on just to see how it does.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I sat it's the ignition module, because years ago I had a 77 f-350 that would do the same thing, I had put a new module in and it run like a champ.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Glad you found a motorcraft one. I just looked at Rockauto for a green color one for my 75 and all aftermarket. I do have a new $20 spare in the truck so I figure that's good enough for a spare to get me by just in case.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

Ford Truck Articles