Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Finally got around to fitting new fuel tank selector valve today

I brought an Airtex 8F1312 Fuel Tank Selector Valve a year ago but while i was waiting for it to arrive (can take up to 20 days out here) i pulled the old pressure driven valve out and stripped it down ,cleaned it and made up a new diagphragm for it which seemed to solve the leaking and non switching problem - darn thing gave up the ghost last week and spilled $100.00 worth of petrol :headbang: so i decided to fit this new valve today.
If your'e like me you won't want to have two fuel tank switches in the cab you'll need to make up a reversing polarity relay system as this @#$%^$# valve use's polarity switching to change tanks and my '87 F150 switches power from tank to tank because the truck uses a pressure driven valve to switch fuel you only need to use two out of the five wires on the Airtex valve -the other three are for driving your fuel gauge if you were building a system from scratch .... use the two wires (which in my case are red and green) next to the vacant spot on the 6 way connector and these will switch the valve using polarity.

You'll need two 12v 5 pin relays and wire them up just like this diagram which i modified to show how i did it - switching from tank to tank will reverse the polarity changing the position of the valve.

Fuel_relay_wiring.jpg

Finally got it finished - my truck has plastic fuel lines which i will eventually be replacing as they are starting to get brittle .... i used some rubber fuel line (5/16 and 3/8) to join the lines to the new valve as the original fuel connectors aren't compatible with the Airtex barbs. You'll also need to fab up a mounting system for the Airtex valve as it won't mount directly to the chassis rail - stupid thing mounted on a 30 degree angle ..... i just used a bit of flat bar and bent it then drilled two holes to suit the valve mounts and then drilled two holes in the chassis to bolt the flat bar to.

IMG_1377.JPG

If i was going to do this again i would just use the standard tank switching valve but at the time i couldn't find one - here is a link to an oem one for sale on Ebay which is not much dearer than the Airtex but would work out cheaper by the time you took into account the cost of the relays and wiring not to mention your time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-M...50&hash=item4170bd7670&vxp=mtr#ht_2206wt_1399

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts