Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM

alex38533 is on a distinguished road
1997 F250 5.8l

just bought this truck and wondering things i could do to it to get more power out of it. i know its 2wd but i am also wondering what i can do to it to make it get through more stuff. Also how do i find out what gears are in it now? t

1997 f250 regular cab long bed with a 351 windsor, 3 inch body lift on 33 inch all terrains, 2wd.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

Admin

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Easy things to do would be to make sure your rear axle has limited slip, that would greatly increase the type of terrain the truck can make it through. It's not a replacement for 4wd, but it will keep the truck from getting stopped by a tiny puddle of mud or an over-sized cow pie.

The exhaust is fairly restrictive, so getting some long tube headers and new exhaust all the way back can wake it up a good 10 hp.

You might also consider the electric fan swap, which will give you a little more power, but not a ton.

After those kinds of modifications, you can get more power, but you're talking about making actual engine mods and taking stuff apart.

Ryan
Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM

alex38533 is on a distinguished road
awesome thanks alot it has a cherry bomb on it now and i was thinking about a cold air intake system, what kind of exhaust would you reccomend, also is a 4x4 drive swap worth the money and time??
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

Admin

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
The cost of these trucks will usually make it cheaper to just buy a new truck than go to the trouble of a swap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the intake system. With stock heads and camshaft, it's not very restrictive, and it's sort of already set up with 'cold air.' Usually those K&N setups actually draw in warm air from the engine bay, making it perform a little worse.

Ryan
Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
OP of 1st PWT

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
stock intake is fine... works great... had plenty of flow with my old flareside that with a modded 351W that threw down 321hp and 394 tq...

it's fine...

cam heads and headers and exhaust... thats what a stock 5.8 needs..
Hedman Longtubes, magnaflow cats, X-Pipe, Spintech mufflers

AOD, red clutch packs, 2" OD band, Rebuilt/upgraded valve body, Stall coming soon