Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Army Firefighter

MikeStoke is on a distinguished road
Starting Problems

I have a 1995 f-150 That sometimes when i start it the dash lights start blinking on and off and i hear a clicking sound. Now sometimes I try to start it and It will click, click like the battery is dead, then I can try it again and it fires right up. The battery is new and the alt. has been checked and is good. Could it be a computer problem or maybe a solenoid? I am not getting a light on the dash so not sure if its throwing a code. Should I take it in and see if a code can be read?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Alvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStoke View Post
I have a 1995 f-150 That sometimes when i start it the dash lights start
blinking on and off and i hear a clicking sound. Now sometimes I try to start
it and It will click, click like the battery is dead, then I can try it again and it
fires right up. The battery is new and the alt. has been checked and is good.
Could it be a computer problem or maybe a solenoid? I am not getting a light
on the dash so not sure if its throwing a code. Should I take it in and see if
a code can be read?
Get an analog volt/ohmmeter and/or a friend that's got one then let the
meter tell you (guys) -exactly- where the trouble/s is/are!

Any other way is a crap-way to do it.
No kidding on that. :) Funny thing is, it's easy as anything to use a meter,
but, you ain't gonna follow my advice! LOL :)

You'll swap parts until you "fix" it (or just clear the trouble up on yourself)
...so it can return later. Seen it a jillion times.

Please prove me wrong about assuming you're like almost everyone else. :)
I'll be happy as a frog for both of us. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
hitech hillbilly

Super Moderator

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Alvin is right! A meter is your best friend with this type of issue.
Sounds like a wiring or Ground issue. Check all your grounds, and connectors one may be corroded a meter can tell you this by reading the voltage drop in the circuit.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
loose battery cables/connections, either at the battery or the starter.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Coal Cracker

optikalillushun is on a distinguished road
I also had issues where the starter relay/solenid on the inner fender isnt grounded properly. make sure the attatching bolts are tight. if u are still having issues u can try to jump the solenoid but that is kind of dangerous.

Start with cleaning the battery cable connections, check for loose grounds (and the starter relay/solenoid on the fender) and work from there. after that check for voltage like Alvin said.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
That's how we roll!

73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute73F100Shortbed has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a ground problem to me as well. Check your cables and connections like suggested.

New Jersey Chapter Leader:Click here to Join

Click for Woodbridge, New Jersey Forecast
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM

RollinThunder is on a distinguished road
my truck did this a few weeks ago and at first i thought the starter or the battery was going out but after a closer look at the ignition wire that runs to the starter it was frayed and i talk to a few local mechanics and it turns out that it was a consant problem on fords for that wire to wear out so for 7 bucks i replaced and i havent had a problem since then
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM

john palmer will become famous soon enough
Yep, what Blacksnapon said. I had a similar issue with my 94 f-350, cleaned the terminals at the batteries, ground, and starter and the problem was solved. my truck is a psd 7.3, and the glow plugs weren't working well and it was corroded conections to blame. Cleaned em up, and now she fire at 10 degres without pluging in. (hasn't been any colder here in Mi, this year!)