Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM

thtniggey is on a distinguished road
351M torque/hp/mpg

Hi im wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how much torque and horsepower i can expect out of my 351M with a four barrel weind intake and a 600cfm carb the truck has an auto trans thanks!!! Also if anyone knows about how much mpg can i expect?!?!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I think the factory number was around 160HP...you might pickup 20-30 hp with that...more if you put headers on and dual exhaust.
Mileage is going to depend on your right foot...I've seen people report between 8 to 15 or more depending on the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM
OP of 1st PWT

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
maybe 200 tops at the crank.. and thats with a super duper weightless oil change and the perfect tailwind..

nah just kidding but 200 tops..

so looking at 160ish wheels if 20% loss through powertrain.

really need to do a cam and straight up timing set.. will work WONDERS...
Hedman Longtubes, magnaflow cats, X-Pipe, Spintech mufflers

AOD, red clutch packs, 2" OD band, Rebuilt/upgraded valve body, Stall coming soon
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

UTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed with all assessments, sub-200hp at the crank. As Chris said, straight up timing and torquey little cam can do wonders. As far as mpg's depends on tire size, 4x or 2x, gear ratio, etc. I've seen as good as 14mpg's (out of my Bronco) and as bad as 4mpg's.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Still Da Man

Mil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond repute
The 400 was 160 HP in 1978

The 351M was around 135 HP and 245 ft lbs of torque at 2200 rpm

All the 4 bbl will do with the secondaries actuated is shoot more gasoline and be wasted in the engine

The 351m in stock form is a dog and was meant to run with a 2bbl

In my world TORQUE is more important than HP

I speak in "Straight Talk" Deal with it.

Click for Red Deer, Alberta Forecast
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 PM

thtniggey is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Beach Bum

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil1ion View Post
The 400 was 160 HP in 1978

The 351M was around 135 HP and 245 ft lbs of torque at 2200 rpm

All the 4 bbl will do with the secondaries actuated is shoot more gasoline and be wasted in the engine

The 351m in stock form is a dog and was meant to run with a 2bbl

In my world TORQUE is more important than HP
Old 01-21-2012, 01:20 AM

Alvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud ofAlvin in AZ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
...straight up timing and torquey little cam can do wonders.
As far as mpg's...
x2

And those'll kick up the power and the gas mileage both at the same time!
No kidding. :)

BTDT

Alvin in AZ
Old 01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
PA Chapter leader

Lost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really nice
My 79 F150 4x4 short bed 4:10 rears .I cleaned up heads header with duals preform intake and cam to match . I could do a u turn just mashing the gas . But I played with jets for different seasons . And only got 12MPG

Its a good motor if the work is done. But stock form sucked .

I miss the beast . Motor is still in a 69 Stang drag car .

94 F150 302 MAf E4od sc long bed 4x4 3:55 LS rears
9MM Ford racing wires MSD cap & rotor and Blaster coil coil . 14-15 MPG Thanks

95 F150 300-6 auto 4x4 8 ft bed barney mobile (yep its purple) . 1 ton front coil and f260 rear leaf suspension Its the plow/firewood truck
Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Baitshop will become famous soon enough
Engines are glorified air pumps. 350 cubic inches is 350 cubic inches. If you take the time to correct some of the factory design limitations, your 351m will perform much like any other well tuned engine of that size. As has been said, put a good straight up timing set in it, a free flowing exhaust and an eddy performer 400 intake, maybe just a little cam, and it will probably surprise you. As with any engine, it's the combination that matters. The 351m/400 are not inherently bad motors.

Jared