Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

88 F250 351 main fuel pump has no power

I got this truck last year, hood was no good so put a 85 hood on, leaves some gaps and engine gets wet.
It rained (monsoon) for 4 days, and when i went to start the truck, it almost immediately tried to start then absolutely nothing.

depressed he fuel rail "stem" and got nothing, same while starting.
Here no pump.
pulled leads and volt-meter says no voltage. all fuses are good.
was told to check relay's under hood by firewall on drivers side, i don't find any, and i have seen them on other trucks.

right not this is my only vehicle (rebuilding toyota, keep the F350 out of the mud if possible), any suggestions?

BTW, recently when 4 wheeling over bumpy roads it quits like someone turned the fuel pump off. after a little effort it will start. The wiring really looks ok, e.g. wrapped, not chafting against the frame, etc.

appreciate any help,

dave

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Check the inertia switch...it's on the driverside firewall under the dash....IN the cab. If it's popped up, push the red button back down.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Here's what it should look like...There is a fuel pump relay under there somewhere...just can't remember which one it is...I know the relay box is mounted on the driverside inner fenderwell under the hood.

DSC01070.JPG

Fellro

Staff member
Also check the eec relay and the fuel pump relay for water in the plug. Had that happen to my 88, the relays were laying down, got water in them, then when it would freeze, they would lose connection. As yours is sitting, may be such it got into the relay and shorted it out.The relays are the green and brown ones in the corner near the master booster, should be on the fender if I recall...

I see where you didn't find them... they are not on the firewall, but more on the fender. Might be under a cover in that area. If you find the diagnostic plug, they are nearby.

More updates

inertia button is not popped out.

I checked the voltage at the main pump on the frame rail while plugged in it seemed to be 0 volts.
when i unplugged from the pump, it was 7.6V (dc).

friend told me to see if the 2 relay's were going, i found them fallen down between wheel well and frame, all muddy/wet.
they both (ecc, pump relays) clicked when turning the key on, but un plugging them the connectors and rely bases were packed in mud. cleaned them up and emory'ed the connectors, and let them dry out a bit (w/ hair dryer).
I also found the wire to the fender cross mount (hood latches to) near the battery was a loose connection, told it grounds the computer, it runs into that big harness going across near the radiator.

Still can't hear the fuel pump. nothing in the fuel rail.
i need to check the voltage again. 7.6 is wrong....

i'll create a mount/drier environment for them, not drag them in the mud ... how it ran at all is beyond me.

thanks much..... great site

Fellro

Staff member
The relays can click, but yet not connect, especially if anything got inside them. One thing you can do for testing purposes is to bypass the green relay (I seem to recall it is fuel...) and power the pump with a jumper wire. You could also do this and just check for the full 12V at the pump. There are 4 wires to a relay, one is full time 12v, then the other heavy wire will be the 12v out to the pump, one will be ground, the other power from the key to turn the relay on and off.

Its working now

I swapped in relay's from my "old" 89 F250 that needs a throw out bearing.... still didn't seem to have any of the 3 pumps working (listening).
my buddy was a GM goodwrench for 25 years, not good on Ford, we checked voltage on the tank switch, off the relay, everything seemed good. he was going to jump it, but thought the relay was sending to the pump.

He was concerned the check engine light wasn't on when the key was turned on, he checked the connections on the computer pushing/pulling all them wires.
He was underneath jiggling more wires and i was above, turned on the key and the pump started .....

we hate to say, we aren't sure what it was we did, but some combination. i'm sure my old full of dirt/water relay's were probably not helping. Getting a good connection for computer ground was also good.

thanks much for all the help. now i've got the greatly required 4x4 truck, roads are very messed up.

Now the truck starts right up, before i had to turn the key on for 10 seconds, then off, then on to start cause it seemed the fuel was draining out and needed repriming.
i'm hoping this fixed the truck dying on rough road symptom too!!

Fellro

Staff member
You may be revisiting the issue, as it seems to be a connection problem, but you at least have an idea as to where to be looking now...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I agree, it'll probably do it's thing again.....It might be easier the next time to pull the bed off and check all the connections related to the fuel pumps.

pinched wires

BTW, we did find red/black wires from the speed sensor PINCHED between the cab and the rubber donut ("bushing") under the driver's feet .... will be popping that loose and freeing it. no idea how that got like that, cab was never removed that we know of (my buddy was original owner/contractor, lots of stories/history).

BTW, i just own it, but we just finally got our Diesel shop pass the final county inspection after 3 years from planning to building, Tru-Tech Diesel Repair LLC .... i can't help but be pleased :wasntme:

Thanks to all, it is really good to know there are people out there to help. I need to get the rear tank going ... pull the bed is in the future, and maybe another thread.

dave

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts