Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM

04SVT-L is on a distinguished road
79 f150 no spark??

ok guys im new here. i got a 79 f150 with a 351m and a 4spd and im kinda stumped on this one. heres the thing, if i wake up in the morning and start the truck, it will fire right up no prob. and i can drive the truck all day, as long as i dont shut it off. when i shut it off it will crank and crank but not start, unless i leave it sit for a long time. and when im cranking it when i go to start it again, i have very weak spark and its not while im cranking. the truck will sputter after the key goes back to the on position. i replaced the ignition module(4times) coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, starter solenoid, ignition switch module under the dash and checked all the wires.. im stumped and can not figure this one out. any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 PM
That John Deere kid

cipsmithers is a splendid one to beholdcipsmithers is a splendid one to beholdcipsmithers is a splendid one to beholdcipsmithers is a splendid one to beholdcipsmithers is a splendid one to beholdcipsmithers is a splendid one to beholdcipsmithers is a splendid one to behold
hmmm. cant help you, but welcome to the site! someone will come up with an idea

Where quarterback dates the homecoming queen The truck's a ford and the tractor's green- Jason Michael Carroll; Where I'm From

Proud member of the PNW chapter!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 PM

yea thanks.
88 F150
79 F150
93 F150
Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
check all your grounds

Mark
Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Springfield XD-9

chuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond reputechuck101st has a reputation beyond repute
The coil pick-up in the distributor will cause that too...

1977 F-250 Highboy
Auto.
Dual exhaust

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck101st
I don't ever sign off. I just quit posting.

People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf... George Orwell
Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck101st View Post
The coil pick-up in the distributor will cause that too...
yea just got back from the store and bought that. im gona go try and put that in in a few min. ill let ya guys kno soon
88 F150
79 F150
93 F150
Old 03-14-2010, 03:28 PM

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVT-L View Post
yea just got back from the store and bought that. im gona go try and put that in in a few min. ill let ya guys kno soon
Careful, its easy to break the gear on the bottom of the distributor when going back together.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Still Da Man

Mil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond reputeMil1ion has a reputation beyond repute
pure coincidence

check the connectors and wires to the distributor.n these are know to cause intermittent ignition problems.

also make sure the ignition module has space under it to allow cool air to flow under it.....so the IM doesn't overheat

I speak in "Straight Talk" Deal with it.

Click for Red Deer, Alberta Forecast
Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
Weak spark... Does it have good spark in the morning?
Sounds like vapor lock to me, my truck used to do it all the time. I dont remember what i did to fix it either...

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Texas Chapter member

TexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant futureTexasRho83 has a brilliant future
Timing issue?

- Charles