Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 4
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 4 1961-1966 F100, F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 AM

reddog07 is on a distinguished road
Lowering the old ford?

Ok guys sorry for all the questions but this is by far the oldest vehicle Ive ever had to play with and dont know much about them. How are people lowering the 4th gen f-100? Do you have to put a different fnt clip that has a arms or what? It has the straight axle and leafs now. If so what kind of frnt clip are people using with the best results?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM

ChopTop79 will become famous soon enough
It all depends on what you're planning on spending. I put a 72 LTD II front end on mine, i've heard of a lot of people swaping newer crown victoria front ends onto the older fords. You can buy a nice kit from Fat man fabrications, or mulitple other companies. You can also buy a bikini clip I believe they are called and build your own front end. It really all depends on your skill level and how much money you want to put down, and of course what you're looking to get out of the setup.

-TAG

Friends Don't Let Friends Bolt On Stupid Parts
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Alright with that being said how do I know what will fit as far as width and all that? thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM

ChopTop79 will become famous soon enough
Anything can fit if you're willing to work at it. Nothing is going to slip on like it was made to be there. that's the joy of Custom work. While you may be able to buy a kit that comes damn close. I know Fatman Fab have an mustang II front end on their shop truck. they are a great kit and very popular but can get pretty pricey. Again it's all about what you're looking for. If you want something cheap that you can find in a junk yard and that parts are easily available for without looking like a show truck then I suggest a crown victoria front end. While they may not be the best, they are a heavy front end that is roughly as wide as the truck frame. My father has a 1947 ford and he put a 1965 Chevelle front end on his truck, not becuase it was better but because he got it for free and it works great. If you're looking at building a show truck I suggest the Mustang II front end and it can be found at most major suspension companies, personally I suggest Fatman Fabrications. If you want something that is functional that doesn't break the bank grab a measuring tape and see if the frame on a crown victoria is roughly the same as yours, do some reading get someone who knows what they are doing with a welder and alignments and start cutting. Have fun with it, putting my IFS on was quite the project but it was well worth it I think.

-TAG

Friends Don't Let Friends Bolt On Stupid Parts
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Ok so say I find a crown vic front end I can use as a donor. Do they make lowering spindles and springs or do you just have to cut the coils. This truck will most likely never be a show truck especially from underneath but I do want to do it right and make it a nice truck. I also found a company that makes a mono leaf that will lower the front 3" or 4.5" and just keep the straight axle. What is your take on that. Thanks for your input bud Im learning already.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:30 AM

rusty63 is on a distinguished road
I've got a '63 that I'm in the process of fixing up. I started in the rear, went with mono-leafs to bring it down & soften the ride a bit. I spent a LOT of time researching & reading about front end options. From Fat Man Fab's MII, to the Art Morrison setups, to Flat Out Engineering's Corvette (C4) front ends. All great products. Then I came across the stories about the Crown Vic swaps. You can use the cast aluminum, bolt in cross member and complete front suspension out of a 2003-2007 "panther" platform (Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Marauder or Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car). It's a sweet deal - you get big disk brakes, power steering and a sway bar and you can get it all for under $500. You just can't beat that with a stick! The "hot" setup is to nab the parts out of a police interceptor model Crown Vic, since it has firmer sway bars & springs. The downside? You need to swap out to modern rims & tires (wow, that's rough) so you can pick up cheap takeoffs from any of these new cars (or mustangs) and some guys have even used rims off Dodge Magnums! I'm a fan of getting an 8.8 rear (I'm told the early 90's work well for the width of our beds) and that way you'll end up with 4 wheel disc brakes! I'm actually hoping to score a wrecked PI and swap in the front suspension, rear end (it's too wide for the flleetside (that's why they say to get one from and early 90's car) but I'm going to widen my stepside a few inches & it'll be sweet), and also grab the brake booster & master, possibly the antilock setup, and the entire driveline from the engine & trans to the driveshaft! (Oddly, from the research I've done my wheelbase on my 63 shortbed step side is within 0.6" of the new donor car! It'll drop right into place! Good luck (to both of us!)
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog07 View Post
Ok so say I find a crown vic front end I can use as a donor. Do they make lowering spindles and springs or do you just have to cut the coils. This truck will most likely never be a show truck especially from underneath but I do want to do it right and make it a nice truck. I also found a company that makes a mono leaf that will lower the front 3" or 4.5" and just keep the straight axle. What is your take on that. Thanks for your input bud Im learning already.
Thats all good info to know, but back to my question. Once you get the crown vic clip on, how do you lower it? or will the clip lower it on its own, or do you have to cut coils, or what?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 PM

rusty63 is on a distinguished road
From what I've read, you can expect about 5" drop from stock. Cut coils can be good for another inch and aftermarket springs can get you 2-2.5". Without z'ing the frame you won't get the lowrider affect - but they cut the frame to do that anyway.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Derping

Sven7 will become famous soon enoughSven7 will become famous soon enough
Has anyone tried bags, or would they not work with this type of suspension? (front of course) Mine has the Twin I Beam, btw.

Check out Rat Rod Magazine!