Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Certified Ford Tech Help Forum
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Certified Ford Tech Help Forum Got a mechanical problem or question about your Ford Truck? Post it here for answers.

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM

bobes75 is on a distinguished road
2006 Ford Escape XLT V6 3.0 4wd - ABS light

Hey everyone,

Have a 2006 Ford Escape w/ 4wd. The other night I was driving home and the ABS light came on and the 4wd light started flashing intermittently. From what I've found online, it could one of a number of things. Bad ABS sensor, bad ABS tone ring, bad drivetrain, some theory that once you go over 70mph the ABS is turned off for safety (that one sounds ridiculous). I'm bringing it back to the dealer this week (used car warranty expires this Friday) and I've got my personal mechanic just trying to find the problem so I can be a bit more "educated" but I thought I'd come here to see if I could get some additional assistance.

Since the lights have came on for the first time, they have gone on and off on two different occasions. Also, on three different occasions (both with lights on and off) the ABS engages when I'm trying to break on dry pavement. Never been a HUGE deal since I'm on regular streets and going slower, but not good if I were on the expressway.

If anyone has any other theories or could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also, if anyone knows how in-depth these possible fixes could be that would be great (can you replace a sensor and/or tone ring without having to do major work...front axle, etc.?). Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Too many possibilities to speculate. Getting dtcs (or codes) would be the first step. Sensors are easy to replace. The tone rings are more involved. It could be as simple as the fuse for the brake lights is blown. Do the basics and check if the lights work, and the master cylinder is full of fluid.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 PM

bobes75 is on a distinguished road
Sounds good. I know the break lights work. Checked those last night. Will check the fluid this afternoon. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Master Ford Tech

d-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to beholdd-kuzmen is a splendid one to behold
Check the front tone rings for cracks. IF I had to guess thats what i'd go with on an Escape..

Ford Senior Master
Master ASE Certified
Diesel Certified
Owner/Operator of
Dave's Garage LLC
Canterbury,CT
860-546-6441
Installer Of Bullet Proof Diesel Products

Click for Jewett City, Connecticut Forecast