Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM
james 1978

james1978 is on a distinguished road
1989 ford f-150 idle problems

hello everyone new guy with problems 89 f-150 5.8ltr. after engine is warm in park idle drops down so low almost dies then something happens and idle goes back to normal. back ground on engine: new overhaul in 2005 .060 over pistons, mild cam, long tube headers, all new inj. new pumps in tanks and new pump on frame. engine runs real strong. problem just occured last few days changed fuel filter still no help no check engine light on no codes when using scan tool. any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

UTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you have a classic case of needing a TV cable adjustment...assuming you have the AOD. I had the same problem in my 87...all roads pointed towards the TV cable...brought it to the local shop...they worked their magic...good as new.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the site!

Have you tried cleaning the IAC? (idle air control)

Old 04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

UTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah...pardon me. Welcome to the site. Chris had a good suggestion with the IAC...it will have similar symptoms...but I'd put my money on the TV cable.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
When you upgrade the camshaft, many times the duration creates a large overlap that also decreases available vacuum. Because the idle speed is set by regulating the vacuum, you need to be especially concerned about any vacuum leaks. The IAC motor has to be working properly as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM

CaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond reputeCaFordDude has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome aboard man. Moved your thread into the right forum to probably get you all the help you need
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Grabber Green Consultant

89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute89frankenford has a reputation beyond repute
welcome to the site! yeah i would say check the tv cable and the iac, the iac should be on the throttle body somewhere, it has a 2 plug connector going to it, i would pull it of and check to see if it is clean and spins free

Chicks Dig the Longbed
Ford guy with a Jeep problem!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 AM

flareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond repute
Could be MAP sensor as well...it's mounted on the firewall next to the ac/heatercore box...try the previous two first...no sense in throwing parts at a problem that just wastes money! ) Welcome to the site!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 AM

NeXtras will become famous soon enoughNeXtras will become famous soon enough
I had the exact same problem on mine, only mine eventually started to die out... my IAC was stuck. I replaced it and the problems went away.
--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
--1999 Chevy S10 4.3 V6 Auto
--1994 F150 FlareSide 5.0 Auto
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA