Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 PM

FordBoy86 is on a distinguished road
Smog Pump

what kind of horsepower gains can you expect to get by eliminating the smog pump, cats, egr, and any other emissions stuff, and installing an electric fan.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Of those things, the electric fan will give you the most noticeable gains. Eliminating smog equipment won't make as much of a difference as most people think. It's really not worth the extra harm that it causes to the environment (yeah I know it ain't much). If you wanna free some of the room in your engine compartment, that's about the best reason to remove smog equipment.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Master Junk Tech

95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold
I noticed alot when i removed the cat of my truck. All the smog stuff is a bunch of garbage and looks bad.

1991 Grand Marquis
302ci, AOD, 83k, Sittin on Bullitts

1999 F250SD XLT 4x4
413ci, 4R100, 37's

1999 F350SD XLT 4x4
445ci, 4R100, 35's

2003 Lincoln Town Car Executive
281ci, 4R70W, "High Class"

2003 Mustang Cobra
4.6L, Supercharged, T56
"Terminator"

2005 Suzuki GSXR750
Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
CASE IH

Mr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud of
I agree with Chris (95F350XL) Glad all my stuff is gone, looks ALOT better now
Old 02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Looks a lot better but were there noticeable performance gains? (aside from placebo effects...)

I can't argue that it wouldn't be nice to clean out all that junk and have some extra room/less clutter... But I've always heard that if you're going it to get performance gains you're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM

kustomizingkid will become famous soon enough
The smog pump is the dumbest thing auto manufacturers ever got away with... all it does is dilute the exhuast gases... it does NOTHING to remove polution.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:01 PM

conanski is a splendid one to beholdconanski is a splendid one to beholdconanski is a splendid one to beholdconanski is a splendid one to beholdconanski is a splendid one to beholdconanski is a splendid one to beholdconanski is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
The smog pump is the dumbest thing auto manufacturers ever got away with... all it does is dilute the exhuast gases... it does NOTHING to remove polution.
If the cat is gone or gutted then yeah the air is doing nothing, but with a functioning cat the air is used to combust unburnt hydrocarbons.

Stock cats are very restrictive so upgrading to a high flow version or eliminating it completely will produce more power.

Smog pump itself produces no significant drag on the engine so removing it will make no difference in power.

The computer is programmed to add more timing when the EGR valve is open, so disabling EGR will actually hurt milage and reduce power.
2004 Ranger Sport 3.0L, 2004 Subaru Legacy, 1996 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Hey Paul-- when I had my exhaust redone, the mechanic was confused by the fact that my AIR pipe was nowhere to be found... Meaning that my smog pump doesn't seem to be doing anything... Is that correct?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Master Junk Tech

95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold95F350XL is a splendid one to behold
Do you have the ones that inject into the back of your heads insted of into the exhaust pipe.

Paul my EGR has been disabled and I get the same mileage I did before, and it feels the same. The EGR isnt open under load or whatnot, its open usually when coasting or your foot off the pedal. If it was open when you were mashing the gas, you would have no power.

1991 Grand Marquis
302ci, AOD, 83k, Sittin on Bullitts

1999 F250SD XLT 4x4
413ci, 4R100, 37's

1999 F350SD XLT 4x4
445ci, 4R100, 35's

2003 Lincoln Town Car Executive
281ci, 4R70W, "High Class"

2003 Mustang Cobra
4.6L, Supercharged, T56
"Terminator"

2005 Suzuki GSXR750
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
CASE IH

Mr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud ofMr. Stroker has much to be proud of
Im not sure if the eliminator would do much. But same with chris, i still have the same amount of power and damn good mileage.. But i do have the plug from RJM