Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

In Search Of A Driver's Door Latch For '78 F150

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Does anyone have a line on a good used or NOS driver's door latch assembly for a '78 F150? I see lots of passenger doors, but no driver's door latches. Bronco Graveyard has new ones for sale, but I am concerned about quality.

Everything is lined up correctly, but the latch won't secure the door in place unless I slam the door.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Does anyone have a line on a good used or NOS driver's door latch assembly for a '78 F150?

I see lots of passenger doors, but no driver's door latches. Bronco Graveyard has new ones for sale, but I am concerned about quality.

Everything is lined up correctly, but the latch won't secure the door in place unless I slam the door.
Could be the striker plate, is the nylon insert still present?
E3BZ-3621813-A .. Left Door Latch / Obsolete

This 1983 Fairmont latch (and the right side) replaced a gazillion different door latches used on 1973/79 Passenger Cars, F100/350's and 1978/79 Bronco's.

I suspect it was replaced too, because I could only find one.

Original 1978 F100/350/Bronco part number was: D8AZ-5321813-A that was also used on the front doors of '78 LTD/Grand Marquis.

I found 10 of these puppies NOS:

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 1 = 800-543-4959.

MCDONALD OBSOLETE PARTS in Rockport IN has 1 = 812-359-4965.

NOS PARTS LTD in Waxahachie TX has 4 = 972-937-2201.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 4 = 800-476-9653.

Fellro

Staff member
Ihave seen where the mounting area around the latch pin has actually bent, and the pin is leaning inward just enough to keep it from latching properly. Usually more due to repetitive slamming of the door, so may not be your case. I have to lube my latches occasionally to keep them freed up.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My 95 Eddie Bauer passenger door is doing that, and the latch is new. I'm thinking Roger is on to something. When the weather gets better, I'll investigate.

Ford Truck Articles