Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Question

I have a 1999 F350 with a developing transmission problem.
1. It won't start in Park (unless you jam it real hard), only neutral.
2. You have to wiggle it a lot to get into drive.
3. You have to play with it to get it from drive to reverse.
4. Rolls sometimes when you put it in park.

Is this an electrical issue (with the shifter) or is my trans shot? Thanks, Greg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I would check out the shifter lever out first. The shifter lever is held in by plastic bushings and wear out after awhile. Sometimes will even disappear all together. Also theres a plate on the bottom of that selector that tends to come loose. It is only held on with 2 mediumish sized torx screws. Either of those could cause the Neutral safety switch to not line up correctly with park. Also the linkage is cable driven from the bottom of that shaft to the transmission. Have heard of those sometimes could bad making for hard gear selections.

If its not any of those i would say to check the neutral safety switch itself. Then look into the tranny.

if you can get the key switched on but not started with it in park make sure to check that the reverse lights arent on. If they are that would be a big reason why it wouldnt start in park.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yup, linkage issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts