Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 07-16-2017, 12:39 PM

406f150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
As Duncan said, the rear(aft) metal tanks are readily available. The front, plastic tanks are as scarce as Boy George's man card. I have searched for about 10 years for a replacement and never found one, other than used ones at salvage yards that are in worse shape than mine. The shroud that holds the plastic tank in place is also not available anywhere. This is important because the ONLY thing holding the tank in place is the shroud.
Finally got my box pulled and the fuel tanks removed. The front factory plastic tank is in good shape and isn't cracked and doesn't have any holes. However, the rubber grommets that seal between the tank and the fill/vent tubes are shrunken up and leak when the tank is full. Quick searching doesn't show these available from Bronco Graveyard, LMC, Dennis Carpenter, or NAPA. Are these as rare as the tank and shroud?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the seal is very hard to find also. I found one at a salvage yard that was in better shape than mine.

I recently located a source, I think. Hopefully I saved it as a favorite. I will see if I can find it and post the link. Glad to hear everything else is in good shape.

The short term solution is to not fill the tank all the way. The plastic midship tank on the 8' bed trucks is 26 gallons. If the gauge works for that tank, you can assume the tank contains 13 gal at half-full. Add another 7 gal for a total of 20 gal, and the tank will not leak, unless you are on a steep slope.

Bronco Graveyard has started reproducing them. It looks like the right dimensions. I have not ordered one yet, but I will.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1979...uctinfo/20242/

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!

Last edited by fatherdoug; 07-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
Yes the seal is very hard to find also. I found one at a salvage yard that was in better shape than mine.

I recently located a source, I think. Hopefully I saved it as a favorite. I will see if I can find it and post the link. Glad to hear everything else is in good shape.

The short term solution is to not fill the tank all the way. The plastic midship tank on the 8' bed trucks is 26 gallons. If the gauge works for that tank, you can assume the tank contains 13 gal at half-full. Add another 7 gal for a total of 20 gal, and the tank will not leak, unless you are on a steep slope.

Bronco Graveyard has started reproducing them. It looks like the right dimensions. I have not ordered one yet, but I will.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1979...uctinfo/20242/
That looks like the new rubber for the emissions breather valve (which I need also for both tanks). Could this be the new rubber for the actual fill neck? http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tan...p/E1AZ-9072-B/ I might order one just to see if it will work. That leaves me with trying to locate the one for the fill breather.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406f150 View Post
That looks like the new rubber for the emissions breather valve (which I need also for both tanks). Could this be the new rubber for the actual fill neck? http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tan...p/E1AZ-9072-B/ I might order one just to see if it will work. That leaves me with trying to locate the one for the fill breather.
Yes, that appears to be it! Thank you. Last time I looked they didn't have those. Hopefully they will make the smaller seal for the vent line.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 PM

I did find another good plastic tank in a yard, but no shroud and the rubber parts are shot. Got the Dennis Carpenter part on order. Will report back after trying to install it this weekend.

This might be as good as it gets for the vent for now: https://www.mcmaster.com/#push-in-grommets/=18jywlz

Items 9307K69 or 9307K71. Not as low of a temperature range as I would like for my northern climate, but I'll order a package of each and see which one fits better.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

My experience is that they are NOT compatible with gasoline, especially gasoline with ethanol.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2017, 05:44 PM

The Buna-N (nitrile) material should be good with straight gasoline, but like you said ethanol might break it down over time. The SBR doesn't work with gasoline, but is fine with ethanol haha. I can usually get ethanol free premium fuel in Montana so that isn't too much of an issue for me.

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-3
Old 07-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Yes, I can get it also, but I have to drive 35 miles to get ethanol-free gas. Good luck. I had to have my shroud rebuilt with straps welded around the bottom to keep the tank in place. It has held up the last several years.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Now my truck is different as it's a 72 in cab tank but I would also recommend LMC trucks as they were the only one to have the correct 19.5 gallon tank for my 72.
This tank is reproduced by Blue Oval Truck Parts (Anaheim CA) and is available from all the repro parts sellers.

Original FoMoCo part number:

D0TZ-9002-A (replaced C1TZ-9002-K) .. In-Cab Fuel Tank-19.5 Gallons / Reproduced

1961/66 F100/800; 1963/69 N500/750; 1967/72 F100/750.

2017 Fusion SE