Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > FTF Mustang Club

Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
2002 Mustang Clutch Woes

Hey guys,

Anyone have much experience with repairing manual transmissions?

I've had this transmission nagging me for the last 2 years. It ebbs and flows between being bearable and unbearable, but is never "just working."

A couple years ago I had a new clutch put in, and had the flywheel surfaced, and a new throw out bearing put in.

Since then it didn't get totally right, it was gritty, and occasionally would stick on the floor. I got frustrated, took it back in, and he said he put some kind of "adjuster" in it, and also a new cable.

It felt good for a couple weeks before it returned to its same shenanigans. The current symptoms are a gritty feeling while pushing in the clutch, a clutch that occasionally sticks on the floor, and has times where it's so difficult to push that I can't get it on the floor, and also times where it's smooth like it's working properly. Sometimes a good "pop" (stomp) on the pedal makes it work again.

Let me know what you think. I think it might still be the stupid clutch. But my knowledge is pretty limited with transmissions.

The last little thing that's been "off" for about 2 years (since the first job), was the when shifting into 5th, I get grinding on the gears on RPM's above about 2k. So when shifting into 5th I let the rev fall and carefully slide it into gear when it hits 2k.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2016, 04:49 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like they either didn't put in the correct clutch and pressure plate or they put it together correctly.
I'd put in a new kit and flywheel and check the throw out arm the little nylon bushings some times pop out and can cause it to hang.
Randy
Old 12-05-2016, 05:00 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Gritty pedal travel, or engagement?

If the former, I'm wondering about the pedal pivot bushings.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
Gritty pedal travel, or engagement?

If the former, I'm wondering about the pedal pivot bushings.
It's the pedal travel that's gritty (sometimes).

Thanks guys, I'll bring these up so they can at least start somewhere. I don't do transmissions.

Ryan
Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
Did you get it sorted out Ryan?

The 5th gear issue sounds like either issues with the synchronizer gear or the shifting fork could have issues like Smokey mentioned about the throwout arms. Some trans have used nylon pads on the fingers of shift fork. If they come off it can cause engagement problems.

Clutch pedal hanging up - either the ideas shared above or could even be a rough/damaged input shaft cover that the throwout bearing rides on, throwout bearings can be bad out of the box, or bad clutch cable, etc.

Here's hoping you got it going for the summer driving season!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM

TheBandit will become famous soon enoughTheBandit will become famous soon enough
Not sure how I missed this but here is my two cents.
If they replaced the clutch cable with anything other than a ford cable then that's more than likely the issue as far as the clutch stick and the gritty feeling to it.
As far as shifting into 5th gear the tremec 3650 transmissions (assuming its a GT) have been known to have problems with synchronizers but usually with the 1st to 2nd shift but as stated before the shift fork have a nylon pad on them that wears out breaks apart causing an issue with shifting. Also the 3650 in 2002 had weak shift arms in them and were prone to bending if driven to spiritedly. But as stated before that was usually the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift that was overly abused in the Mustangs.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 PM

68F1006.4 is just really nice68F1006.4 is just really nice68F1006.4 is just really nice68F1006.4 is just really nice68F1006.4 is just really nice
Sounds like they may have put in the wrong parts. I drove a 1985 Mustang GT 5sp for over 15 years until I sold it to my brother last year.

That car had the original T5 from the factory and aside from a heavy duty clutch at about 150k, it rarely gave me any issues, and I definitely put some "spirited" miles on it. It also had a clutch quadrant that would adjust travel by putting your foot under the pedal and pulling until you felt a "click". It has well over 250k on it now and my brother hasn't reported any replacement yet.

That said, I'm sure the 5sp in 02 was an improvement over 85 so I suspect the parts installed if nothing changed after the work they did.

Last edited by 68F1006.4; 04-08-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

It's fixed. It doesn't feel as good as it did when it was younger, but that's what you expect from aftermarket parts.

They redid the throw out bearing and clutch and it's 85% of what it used to be. It's still a stiffer clutch than I like but w/e. How much time, money, and effort should a guy put into a $2k car?

Ryan
Old 04-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
......what you expect from aftermarket parts.........

Ryan
Most people seem to be lured into them by the low cost and the lifetime warranty (often, short lifetime before it breaks). This includes parts built by suppliers that are age old, quality aftermarket brands (and some being OEM vendors to the auto industry). FWIW, there's often good, robust aftermarket and sometimes it's from the very OEM supplier to the automaker but......a guy has to research it.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 04-11-2017, 06:03 AM
kiwi f150

kiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond reputekiwi f150 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
It's the pedal travel that's gritty (sometimes).

Thanks guys, I'll bring these up so they can at least start somewhere. I don't do transmissions.

Ryan
I'd look at replacing the clutch cable too Ryan - could have frayed internally which would give you that "gritty" feeling also.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end."