Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM

406f150 is on a distinguished road
'79 F-150 Camper Special

Hey guys, I just joined the forum and have some questions about a 1979 F-150 that I'm looking at buying. It is a single cab, long box, 4WD, 400 engine with auto tranny, Custom with Explorer trim package. It also has Camper Special badges on the front fenders. I've researched and found that the Explorer trim is a legitimate possible option addition to the Custom model, but the Camper Special designation doesn't seem to fit. I can't find any Ford literature supporting that they offered it on the F-150, only on the 250 and 350s. I don't think I've seen so much as a photo of one. Is this something that was really a possibility to order on this truck from Ford? If so, I'm aware of changes made to the 250 and 350s, but what benefits did it give the F-150?

All of the paint matches on the truck so I kind of doubt the fenders have been changed, but doesn't mean someone didn't slap the badges on it at one point. The mirrors have likely been changed as there is a second set of mounts on each door to hold larger ones that probably came on the truck stock. Seems if I really want to know I either need to get the VIN and have the Ford dealer get me a build sheet, or look for an additional wire harness by the tail lights. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey ,welcome to the FTF!...

I don't know about camper special ,but being a 4x4 ,it definitely
would be special camping!.....

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 05-10-2016, 06:45 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the site.

I'm not sure if the Camper Special was offered in an F150, here is a link to a brochure here that only seems to mention the 250's and 350's.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=29188

Page 22.

Some more info here, but 1978...I suspect the 79's would be the same or very similar:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=29062
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:27 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Awsome piece of history!

Ford truck & trailers go together like ham & eggs!......

Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Great brochures for sure. It's kind of funny back then they were even promoting towing with cars. Seems to be most of the same information I've seen so far in my research. I'm going to see if I can get a closer look at it today.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Talked to the guy on the phone today and he's the third owner. Second owner apparently had it on a ranch and he passed away. Long story short he knew the widow and bought it to help her out and then just re-sell it. So he doesn't know a ton about it. He did say it has dual shocks on the front end, and I remember noticing that when I looked at it the first time. I don't see that in any f-150 photos unless they have had a lift so that may be part of the camper package on it.

The guy said the engine does have a miss right now. He's replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, and put a new carb on it and it hasn't fixed it. Plugged fuel filter maybe? A friend of mine said he's had the starter solenoid go bad on his '79 and it caused ignition problems. Anything else easy to look for that would cause it other than something internal in the engine?

I'll know more tomorrow after I go test drive it.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406f150 View Post
Talked to the guy on the phone today and he's the third owner. Second owner apparently had it on a ranch and he passed away. Long story short he knew the widow and bought it to help her out and then just re-sell it. So he doesn't know a ton about it. He did say it has dual shocks on the front end, and I remember noticing that when I looked at it the first time. I don't see that in any f-150 photos unless they have had a lift so that may be part of the camper package on it.

The guy said the engine does have a miss right now. He's replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, and put a new carb on it and it hasn't fixed it. Plugged fuel filter maybe? A friend of mine said he's had the starter solenoid go bad on his '79 and it caused ignition problems. Anything else easy to look for that would cause it other than something internal in the engine?

It might of had an xtra battery installed as well ,maybe a more
heavy duty leaf springs & tow package.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406f150 View Post

Dual shocks are not part of a Camper Package...handling package I believe or the Ranger.

Starter solenoid should have nothing to do with ignition issues...unless there is a bad connection at the solenoid itself.

Look at (as you mentioned) fuel filter...air cleaner..pcv valve....vacuum leaks...there are a multitude of things that can cause crappy running.

Have a look at this manual...

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=29167
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Dual shocks are not part of a Camper Package...handling package I believe or the Ranger.

Starter solenoid should have nothing to do with ignition issues...unless there is a bad connection at the solenoid itself.

Look at (as you mentioned) fuel filter...air cleaner..pcv valve....vacuum leaks...there are a multitude of things that can cause crappy running.

Have a look at this manual...

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=29167
The Marti report does list quad shocks up front as part of an optional handling package, not related to a camper special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 05-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
No such thing as an F150 Camper Special, last F100 Camper Special: 1967.

2017 Fusion SE