Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Body Work and Paint

Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 PM

Turtle400 will become famous soon enough
Info on how to paint Etc.

I will soon be undertaking a re build and re paint of my 77 F-150.

I will be using a lot of re pop parts and just Using the original Cab.

My Problem, i have spoke with every body shop in my area. Only 2 out of 10 would even do the paint work for me.

Just painting the Cab alone one shop wants 1,500 deposit to start with, and charges 50.00 Hr they could not give me a full price.

the other shop told me they will do all the work, ( they want to fix the rust and dents ) and just gave me a ball park price of 5,000 to start.

I really don't care for a show quality paint job and i am at the point of trying to do the paint work myself and i don't know where to look for info on how to learn paint and prep work

I have the tools to do rust repair and dent removal just no painting equip
Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 PM
FTF's #1 Knob Polisher

Austin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond reputeAustin has a reputation beyond repute
I tried paint once... It was a year long process on my spare truck and I never did get to where I wanted with it. It's kinda difficult when you don't have a spray booth.

From this:

To this:

Everyone is my teacher. Some I seek. Some I subconsciously attract. Often I learn simply by observing others. Some may be completely unaware that I'm learning from them, yet I bow deeply in gratitude.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
With a decent sprayer and a little finesse its not hard to get an acceptable paint job...

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Blue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
With a decent sprayer and a little finesse its not hard to get an acceptable paint job...
Hudson?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Sure

Quote:

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM

I understand a decent sprayer, But i have no knowledge what so ever on the equipment or even how to begin mixing paint
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Since brad brought it up...

Well, I can give you a few tips... Get a good hvlp gun. As for mixing, follow the directions with the paint... It'll say something like 4:2:1 or something, where it'd be 4 parts paint, 2 reducer and 1 hardener, if hardener is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Quote:

Last edited by SuperCab; 03-27-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Blue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Goose has a reputation beyond repute
This is a very basic information video...

There loads more videos you can watch to gain info...

Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
They call me Spuds

1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute1970Custom has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, hit your local book store or spend some time on youtube. I can explain it but sometimes its easier to read it.

Take your time on the body/prep work. If you check the thread just below this one you'll see my latest job. I kinda rushed it and missed one ding right in the damn door and now it sticks out like a sore thumb; however, I have to sand and shoot it for one more coat so I will be fixing that dent. For first time shooters I'd stick with single stage paint. Looks just as good as a two stage with a little extra effort. As for the gun, go down to HF and pick up a HVLP gravity feed, that's what I use and I haven't found a difference compared to the $500+ brands...

Paint booth, if you've got a garage, shop, car port, etc it will work just fine with some time in setting it up.

Just for an example, I charge $500-$800 for a basic same color paint job. More if there's a bunch of body work or they want a color change.

If you do decide to paint it yourself shoot me a PM or something and I'll give you my number, easier to give tips and a walk-through in a phone call...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Custom View Post
Honestly, hit your local book store or spend some time on youtube. I can explain it but sometimes its easier to read it.
If you do decide to paint it yourself shoot me a PM or something and I'll give you my number, easier to give tips and a walk-through in a phone call...
I have made the decision to paint it myself, The good part is i still have lots of time before i will be ready to do it.

I do not have a garage the truck will fit in much less paint in. and i have the paint code for the truck, how or what do i do when i go to order paint?

Also if i paint out side the hotter the day the better, or will that hurt my work in the long run?