Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Off-Road

Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Ridgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond repute
That is a good project. I always did like Cougars. A friend of mine had one almost killed in it, that will teach him for messing with another man's wife.

1998 Ford Expedition 4X4

2000 Mustang Drop Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
Been really itching to make something happen on this thing lately, and some stuff has come together which allowed me to. Most importantly I bought a buzz box and got it wired so now I don`t have to borrow the 110 wire welder from work, tack stuff together and then haul it to my buddies house (who moved away anyways) and burn stuff together.

So anyways it needs some engine and trans mounts. I spent a lot of time eyeballing stuff with the engine, trans, and transfer case suspended in place trying to figure out where and how I wanted to mount stuff. Course, it doesn`t help that I stuffed a Ford Dana 60 in there along with a Ford drive train in something that was meant for GM non sense, I wanted every thing lower and farther back than the General intended, and I didn`t really feel like completely refabbing the floor and fire wall that`s in it already.

So, after much thought, I snagged a couple pieces of scrap from work yesterday, and after I tackled the honey dos, I got busy this afternoon.

My buddy who built this thing originally gave me some steel engine mounts for a sbc in a late model roundy rounder.

I tossed an extra set of 80-96 Windsor truck mounts in the wood stove for a while, and then welded the pieces I wanted together.

Then I put the late model mounts on the truck mounts.

I have a piece of three inch c channel that I was going to use frame side, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked that idea. I decided to go with some 2x2 square tube I snagged from work. I cut it how I wanted it, welded some bolts in, they are on the frame well enough to hold up the engine for now, and I`ll gusset them properly when the drive train comes back out.

Well, that`s it for today. Next up I think is a front drive shaft so as to get a better idea of what the tranny cross member is going to have to do.

Justin

With a little luck and a greenback dollar you gonna see me shine.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Check the fuseable links on the Cougar. I had a 73 Mustang do the same thing
Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM
just growing older not up

polarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond repute
I'm liking this thread. But if i tried to bomb around with something like that in my neighborhood, the neighbors would be in the driveway with pitchforks and torches.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
Cougar ended up being a lack of a body ground The po had this car pretty disassembled. How it worked before I have no idea.

Yeah, I`m pretty fortunate in that I live in the country.

I thought a lot about this thing today, and I`m going to clock the t-case up a little to help my drive shaft/cross member clearance and because I don`t like it hanging below the frame. I did a little searching tonight and found a universal clocking ring for $100, and some pics showing how one guy did it himself without a ring, and kept the alignment dowel. I think I`ll go that route.

Justin

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM

slmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond repute
cool project.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY

BuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty cool Justin....And unique!! I like that...
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
sawmill slave

Thanks guys. It is a pretty neat ride. It has always garnered attention where ever it`s gone. I remember at the second bog we took it to there was a guy running who was pretty enamored with it. He had a 3/4 ton Chev with a sprint car engine, and now he runs a rail with an aluminum 496.

Justin

Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 PM
sawmill slave

Been a quite some time since I`ve done anything with this. Moved it around the yard, kept gathering stuff, went thru a period when life in general had me depressed, and would have sold it if a coworker wasn`t so cheap and thought he was gonna get it for free.

But, it`s now and I still have it. About two weeks ago I got a good running Explorer 5.0. The Explorer had been in my yard since last August for a trans swap. Belonged to my sisters boyfriend. I hauled it to my house, pulled the trans, and hey, he doesn`t have money to fix it. Said he did though, lol.

Anyways, he traded it off to the local buy here/pay here, and never delivered it. I worked out a deal with the owner of the car lot, because well, I grew up around them, and they wanted their Explorer, and got the engine.

So that pretty much kicked everything back into high gear

Over the last few years I have gathered up an 11" clutch and flywheel for a 50 oz imbalance 302, a small block 4x4 T19 trans, remote mount battery cables, another t-case to cut up to clock the one I wanted to use, and other stuff.

In the last two weeks I`ve stripped the 5.0 down, washed it and the trans, built a front driveshaft, and some other stuff. I`m trying to do something to it every night. The engine was a big road block. I think I`ll be able to have it chooching enough to at least move around the yard. I`m tired of seeing it sit.

The 5.0. I got a new throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and rebuild kit for an Edelbrock carb I had on the shelf. A buddy is rebuilding the carb.

I had to cut the floor out because after I clocked the t-case up, and built a driveshaft, the front yoke on the t-case was pointed up, the driveshaft was down, and the angle was BAD. So I manned up, lol.

I clocked the t-case up. This turned out to be a pita that I started about the last time I posted on this. You can buy clocking rings, but they don`t retain the dowel. Guys that are more hardcore then me use them and don`t seem to have a problem, could be a moot point, but I`m anal.

So anyways, initially, I cut the t-case end off of a C-6 trans adapter, and tried to line everything up. No good. Things were just a little off. Could`nt find another T19 adapter, so I took it to a shop and had them weld the dowel hole I drilled closed. I picked up a NP 208, cut the input side of it off, because the t-case has an indexing ring, put it where I wanted, and drilled it. Should have used the drill press, but I was in hurry, and impatient. Lol. It`ll work.

It`s horizantal now, instead of hanging down. Good enough.

With that done I was able to get a measurement for the front driveshaft. I thought I would need a longer one, but oh no. I needed a shorter one. My buddy that built this and had no problems modifying driveshafts has passed, my guy that used to do them for $35 has passed, so I watched some Youtube videos, and manned up, lol. Course, once I cut the floor out and raised the t-case two inches to improve the angle at the t-case u-joint, it`s an inch to short, lol.

On the plus side, I don`t have to modify the trans crossmember that I already started for driveshaft clearance. It`s all about the little things,lol.

So, as of today. Motor mounts. Done. Trans crossmember. Finalized. Have all the pieces, just have to weld it all together. I have the steel to redo the floor, so I`m good there. Have to get paint for the engine, a gasket to swap the intake, a manual trans starter, and some plug wires.

Once the engine, trans, and t-case are in their final home, it`s just a matter of hooking stuff up. So to speak, lol.

Justin