Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Pruitte27 is on a distinguished road
Transmission question - need some wisdom

Hey y'all

Just bought a 91 F350 (7.3L, 4wd dually, automatic) last month and I'm having a little trouble with my shift from 1st to 2nd. As far as I know these came stock with a 3 speed vacuum shifted tranny (C6 I believe). From what I can tell a previous owner has done a tranny swap to the E4OD transmissions which were in broncos and possibly e350's at the time. When I drive the truck, it does not shift until about 3 grand rpm's which leads to a hard shift. I bought the truck to haul my horses with, but really don't want to haul anything with it until this is fixed. I know on the stock transmissions there is a vacuum modulator on the transmission which can go bad and cause this to happen, but I'm not as familiar with the electronically shifted trannys and need some advice. My thought is it's either a solenoid or the clutch pack is going bad, but I really don't want to replace/rebuild the transmission unless I have to. Does anyone know any tests or had this problem before that had found the issue and corrected it? Thanks in advance

Jake
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Pruitte27 is on a distinguished road
Anyone??
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like forward clutch, sorry!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:05 AM

Bedlinedf250 is on a distinguished road
Are you willing to buy a new tranny. I had a similar issue but would do it after 40. Rebuilt the tranny to a heavy duty 4r100 version with nothing being fixed. Luckily the guy had a reputation and gave me a 2 year warranty. Took him almost 6 months to get it goin normally again. Last thing he did was replace the case meaning the shell. Couldn't explain it but once all the parts were put into a new case ran like a champ and it's been almost 3years of heavy hauling.