Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EGR ?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Does it hurt anything to plug off the egr and what is the proper way to do it?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Cliff, you're asking this on EarthDay! LMAO.
No it doesn't hurt anything. I have seen plates at the wreckers that cover the hole from non pollution engines. You can buy a piece of metal and make your own.

Best time to make the tree huggers hide in fear. I am sure there is a way to do it to keep codes from popping up.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I unbolted the EGR from the intake, flattened out a mountain dew can, smeared some copper RTV on both sides, bolted it down and trimmed the edges. No codes got thrown and it was still that way when I sold Elvira.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I unbolted the EGR from the intake, flattened out a mountain dew can, smeared some copper RTV on both sides, bolted it down and trimmed the edges. No codes got thrown and it was still that way when I sold Elvira.

How about the pipe that runs from the bottom, also how about the egr sensor?

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
If the egr plate you make doesn't leak the pipe will be fine on there.no code s long s the egr had voltage and it isn't stick open or closed

Ok easy enough. So if the sensor is bad it will still need to be replaced.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Thanks Thunder_ Flareside and Randy. I will make 2 plates and sandwich the gasket in between.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah you can just make a plate and block it off if you want it to stop feeding old air and fuel into then intake..

which is crazy cause a 302 has the EGR pipe come from the lower intake back up to the upper.. which is pointless.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
yeah you can just make a plate and block it off if you want it to stop feeding old air and fuel into then intake..

which is crazy cause a 302 has the EGR pipe come from the lower intake back up to the upper.. which is pointless.

Chris it does have a tube. All a EGR does is recirculate the exhaust and supposedly helps with fuel economy. But I wonder about that since the mid 70's-80's which a lot of times really didn't help. But if you have a car or truck with the OBDII I would not change it at all.

So there is still some to question here on the pre obd1 and obd1 models. What is the real results does it help with fuel economy,help the engine run better and so on?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i blocked the egr off on my old Flareside when i did the top end. It's hard to say cause i did so many other changes but it didnt hurt it.

and i know what it does..

but on 5.0's it recirculates from the lower intake... 5.8's actually recirculate from the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Here is some of the things I have found out. I borrowed this from another site which is a generalization of all vehicles that came equipped with a EGR.

There doesn't seem to be anything that will hurt the engine. More than anything it will reduce your emissions if blocked or keep everything working properly, it will affect your mpg.

Does it reduce suction throttling losses?

Yes.

Does it reduce compression?

Actually it would increase compression by allowing more mixture into the cylinder to be compressed, but that is offset somewhat by the dilution of that mixture with a basically inert exhaust gas component.

Does it reduce displacement?

Not in the sense of mechanically reducing the physical components of compression, but in the fact that the intake charge would be at a higher temperature than it would be without EGR, and therefore less dense, then the effective compression is reduced slightly. On the other hand the volume of EGR admitted with the combustible air-fuel mixture increases the effective compression.

The reduction in peak combustion temperatures by about 300 degrees, dramatically reduces NOX, and allows significantly greater timing advance than what would be possible without EGR.

Recent experimentation points towards strategically using EGR to even greater extent, with some attempts to combine EGR with direct injection and very lean mixtures, to the point where engine throttling can be accomplished without restricting the incoming air and creating manifold vacuum.

Bottom line is if it makes no difference on your engine if it is working or not, it probably is not working properly. We used to check it by pushing the diaphragm from the bottom manually, and it would immediately make the engine stall at idle. Generally speaking EGR is applied at partial throttle positions, and the control of EGR supply has been evolving for 40 years to improve performance and economy. Some modern engines with the greater computation power accomplish EGR through cam timing, specifically the exhaust cam to leave more exhaust gas in the cylinder after combustion, which eliminates all the rest of the EGR system components altogether.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
i blocked the egr off on my old Flareside when i did the top end. It's hard to say cause i did so many other changes but it didnt hurt it.

and i know what it does..

but on 5.0's it recirculates from the lower intake... 5.8's actually recirculate from the passenger side exhaust manifold.

On mine I would have to leave it all on and make a plate to block the EGR from the upper intake. Until I get the intake I want.

Ford Truck Articles