Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aftermarket A/C?

Guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket A/C systems for the 81 F series? My truck was manufactured w/o A/C so I am looking for a complete system, including the evaporator. I've done an internet search and most of the A/C systems are for older trucks but there are some universal kits out there. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas with this before I go forward.

Brad

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
All my trucks have had ac. Have you thought about going to a junkyard to get everything you need?

The Dash is held in with screws and bolts, It's more plastic than anything else. You can cut the firewall from the donor truck to get everything in place properly. But it's a lot of work.
But it is a lot easier to go aftermarket.

Fellro

Staff member
If you can find a truck with dealer air, they are the way to go. What kind of heater do you have, as in standard heat, or high output? The standard heat setup has you change the heater core through the glove box. That style allows you to pull the a/c off of a factory a/c truck and swap it on. Otherwise, you have to get the add on.

Aftermarket A/C

Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of junkyards here. I haven't taken the system apart but I think my heater core is under the hood. There's a large plastic case mounted to the firewall and it's obvious the blower is on one side and the other side has the two water hoses going into it so I assume that's where the heater core is. The other thing is that I don't have the vents and louvers in the dash for A/C since the truck didn't come with A/C from the factory. I'm kinda lazy and don't really want to go to all the work to change the whole dash out for this so I was looking at the underdash evaporators. Any ideas?

Brad

Fellro

Staff member
They usually cut holes in the dash for the vents, then ran the a/c through it that way, the dealer air was stand alone. Otherwise you will have to use an under dash unit like Vintage Air.

Aftermarket A/C

Thanks. I have been looking at Vintage Air and Classic and that's the way I will probably have to go. They make some models for trucks with the under dash evaporator but not specifically for the 81. I emailed one of them (can't remember which one now) last week on their website to ask if they make a system that will fit my truck but haven't received a response yet. But I'm pretty sure one of the kits made for the 60's Mustangs from Vintage or Classic could be made to fit pretty easily.

Fellro

Staff member
there was an under dash unit in my 75 I used to have, but seems to me it still had the vents actually in the dash. I see no reason a general under dash unit couldn't be made to work.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
That is a good price. I hope you start a thread with pictures on the installation here.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts