Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Photo Walkthrough - How to Replace Hinge Pin on a Ford Truck 80-96

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Alright guys... I was outside tonight working on Eva's truck, took a few photos and thought I'd do a write-up.

First off, to remove the door you'll probably need something to prop the door on while you're working. The electrical wires in vehicles with power windows and locks may cause a problem if you cannot get the door properly supported. In my case, all I had was a single speaker wire with generous slack, so take care. There are 4 bolts holding on two hinges. The easiest tool for this job was a self-ratcheting 1/2" wrench.

DCFC0047.JPG

Here's a photo of the hinge when the door is removed:

DCFC0049.JPG

The next step may vary depending on tools available. As a tip, do not do this on a sunday evening when all the hardware and auto parts stores are closed. The easiest way to do this would probably be a medium-large set of bolt cutters. The stock pins are 'riveted,' if you will, into place. There's no way to unfasten the stock pins.

DCFC0049.JPG

Unfortunately, this was the only option I could come up with in my house. So yes, cut the pin in the center and don't bother about trying to remove either head. After a few moments of cutting it this way, I realized I should have a pair of safety goggles. So be smart and put those on from the beginning.

DCFC0050.JPG

Now my blades went dull with about 3/32" left to go through. Since the pin was hot, I used a highly specialized bludgeoning tool to help encourage seperation of the pin in the designated area. Safety first.

DCFC0052.JPG

The pins should slide out. At this point, you can remove the outer half of the hinge with ease. Do so and set it somewhere you wouldn't forget. The reason you're interested in changing the hinge pins is probably because of the brass bushings. If they're as old as the ones I had, they'll shatter under any kind of pressure. I used a straight edge screwdriver and my highly specialized bludgeoning tool to knock them free and they fell out. Some broke, and some slid out with ease. There are 2 bushings in each hinge.

DCFC0054.JPG

Now you're ready to start moving in the opposite direction... Reassembly. Insert the new Brass bushings. Clean up the hinge a little if needed, and these should knock in with a small amount of pressure. Try to keep them round. If you bend them, you'll have problems getting your pin inserted.

DCFC0058.JPG

Go find the outer half of the hinge you hid under the floor mat or in the yard. Line it up with other half and insert your hinge pin. The pins I have used E Clips to keep the pin in place rather than bending metal to keep it restrained. Much smarter...

DCFC0055.JPG

Time to reattach the door. Make sure both hinges are aimed generally in the same direction for reattachment. Make sure you also have the bottom one attached in the right direction. Put the 4 bolts back in that you removed earlier. Attach them loosely. Alignment of the door is very important, otherwise you'll create more of a problem than you fixed. It's going to take 2 people to make this job reasonably simple. Tighten the bottom hinge first and use it as a pivot for the top hinge. Vertical alignment is just as important as horizontal alignment! Keep it in mind when you're putting the door back on.

DCFC0059.JPG

A properly aligned door should look something like this and close easily:

DCFC0060.JPG

The 24 year old Bronco door closes just like a new car.

I hope I can help someone by typing this up, as my google results were not helpful. Good luck! It's not as difficult as some people may initially think. Hell, I did it!

Ryan

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
It's not as difficult as some people may initially think. Hell, I did it!
I'd like to present the Understatement of the Year Award to RYAN!! Woooo Hooooo!!!:nana:

ON EDIT: I'd also like to add in the Favorite Quotes Thread: "Hell, I did it!"

Nice job. You need to buy a hammer though. Invest in several sizes. They are fun.

I don't know how hard it is to re-align those doors. My 89 ranger was not hard at all.

The 56 is a royal pain from what I am told.

One thing I am going to do with the 56 is use "clecos" before I remove the door. You drill a hole in each hinge (top and bottom hinge) into the door and cab (to fit what size clecos you have) and insert the clecos to make sure they fit properly.

Remove everything and do whatever you need to (In my case paint the inside of the cab and doors). Insert the clecos into the holes to align everything back where it was and insert the hinge bolts. Snug them down and check everything. It should be back perfect.

Mine are aligned great. No leaks. The alignment with the body is not bad at all. I don't want to lose it.

Did that make any sense at all?

On a side note: Tom is going to have a field day with the trailer hitch pic.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't know how hard it is to re-align those doors. My 89 ranger was not hard at all.

Brian, it wasn't very hard to align the door. The initial try left the door trying to close about 1/4" too low. We loosened the bolts out and I got under the door lifted it, and then tightened it. It went together very well the second time, and it was problem solved. The hinges are designed to have a little 'play' in them to leave room for alignment, so It may take more than one or two tries.

Ryan

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Excellent write up Ryan. I am a little surprised that no rattle cans were used.YelloThumbUp

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Thanks guys. I encourage you all to do the same thing when you make repairs. ;) This sort of thing can really attract new members, especially in the hands of someone more competant than me.

Tony, I thought about spraying up the hinges, but like I said, the auto parts store was closed. I didn't have any paint. I use the Just in Time inventory system. ;)

Ryan

Auto parts store? You don't buy your rattlecans at wally world? Open 24/7 around here.

All kidding aside...this is a nice write up. Even if someone does something simple like replacing brake pads or changing their oil, we need a write up of it. It is amazing to me how many grown men and women don't know how to do simple maintenance on their vehicles. Some don't even know how to check the oil or change a tire.

Articles on simple things will bring people in.

If my explorer ever breaks...I will try to contribute as well.

If?? How about when!! ROFLMAO

I am sure it will happen someday. So far tires, brake pads, thermostat, and fluid changes.

The last mechanical work was before this site launched (thermostat and brake pads). The last oil change dad did for me, since I was in the hospital again.

good write up ryan..i did that job one time on a non ford product. my BFH wasn't as cool as your BFH. one question, you've got glasses on w/ the BFH but not the sawzall. i think you need a tool time out

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
good write up ryan..i did that job one time on a non ford product. my BFH wasn't as cool as your BFH. one question, you've got glasses on w/ the BFH but not the sawzall. i think you need a tool time out

lol, like I said... after a few seconds without the glasses, I went back in and did the rest of the job with them.

Ryan

i missed that part between the pics. OK time out over.

6l that works too

Hey Ryan,
1971 called, they want their sideburns back'hah'
ohh that's worth the beatings i got for fat dog, tractor on the porch, tractor beer runs, and busch beer:rofl:
God bless Ca for giving my a silly fix that will last a week.
yeah i'm easily amused. i tried to rep but need to spread the :bs: before i can do it again.

Ford Truck Articles