Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Visors With Clips

My old visors (the one piece style that don't clip on above the windshield) are really floppy so I bought a pair of visors from a newer truck at the salvage yard. These visors have the clip that attaches to the ceiling in the cab to hold the end of the visor and keep it from flopping around. My question is about the steel in the roof/ceiling of the cab. I know it is double walled in the corners near the door where the mount for the visors attach, so there is room for the screws that hold the visor mount. Is the roof also double walled near the center of the cab just above the windshield where the holding clip would mount?

I'm afraid to try to screw in the clip as I don't want to put a hole in the roof if it's not double walled. If it's not double walled I will using something like JB Weld to attach the visor clips to the roof. Just wondering if someone has experience with this and knows if there its double walled there in the middle so I can put some small screws in to hold the visor clip and not have the screw come out through the roof.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I should be double walled. if you look where your old visor is you can shine a small light and see. I would use very short self tapping screws to screw your clip holder in.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
100% right. It's double walled. Just use the screws that came with the clips you got at the wreckers and you'll be fine. That's what I did when I upgraded my visors to cloth with the vanity mirror. Make sure to drill the same as factory with the little pilot hole and the main fastening hole. Easy peasy. Sounds like your doing all the same things as Me and Cliff!

Last edited:
Visor Clips

Thanks for the info guys. I just couldn't tell about it being double walled near the center where the clips go. It's obvious that right in the middle of the roof it's double walled and there's a channel there for the dome light wiring, but where the visor clips should go I couldn't tell and was afraid to start drilling. I don't want to have a sprinkler head for a roof! Thanks again guys!

clips

Hello,
I also converted mine about a month ago but took the easy way out and did it in about 5 minutes, there is a peg of sharp plastic on the back side of the clips and two screw holes, I put the clip on the visor and eyeballed the margin from the top of the wind shield and bottom of the visor until it was pleasing to the eye and pushed in on the clip until it had made a mark on the head liner. since I ruined a really nice naug. headliner by drilling a hole thru it and making a dent out side ( the bit snarled in the backing on the liner wadded up and pulled the bit thru and made a dent outside the truck and a stretched spot about as big as a corvette owners head) I use a sharp awl and put it on the mark and one ot two hammer taps will be a hole for the lineup peg then drive the awl thru the two screw holes I use an awl putting in trim almost exclusivily. Sorry if this looks garbeled but I just got out of the hospital:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Hello,
I also converted mine about a month ago but took the easy way out and did it in about 5 minutes, there is a peg of sharp plastic on the back side of the clips and two screw holes, I put the clip on the visor and eyeballed the margin from the top of the wind shield and bottom of the visor until it was pleasing to the eye and pushed in on the clip until it had made a mark on the head liner. since I ruined a really nice naug. headliner by drilling a hole thru it and making a dent out side ( the bit snarled in the backing on the liner wadded up and pulled the bit thru and made a dent outside the truck and a stretched spot about as big as a corvette owners head) I use a sharp awl and put it on the mark and one ot two hammer taps will be a hole for the lineup peg then drive the awl thru the two screw holes I use an awl putting in trim almost exclusivily. Sorry if this looks garbeled but I just got out of the hospital:

I hope you get to feeling better. Your write up is a very good read,clear as a bell.

Visors

Native-born Texan, thanks for the info. I'm lucky since my F100 has the bare bones interior and came without a headliner so I wouldn't have to worry about the drill bit getting caught in the headliner. But I really like your idea of using the awl and that's probably what I will do. I've already put the new visors in but not the clips. I'll probably do that this weekend.

Brad

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts