Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1995 Powerstroke Sitting Disease

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Ok, this one is throwing me for a loop here. A Powerstroke with a no start is indeed not uncommon, but I'd like some other opinions on this one.

95, F350 2 wheel drive. 4 door long bed. 281,000 miles. E40D.

Previous owner passed away late 2017/early 2018. Truck has been sitting.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Here's the preliminary details.

Filled HPOP before I ever cranked it.

Truck is stored inside above 58*F

Block heater is inoperative.

2 functional glow plugs.

42-45 psi fuel pressure, white smoke.

Tach moves to about 250 RPM.

Maintained 10+ volts at batteries during testing.

Passed buzz test, all 8.

Barro is low, but EBP and MAP are right.

ICP is leaking, so I unplugged it.

It tried to start, and smoked well, so I unhooked the glow plugs, and gave it a snort of ether. It ran on ether, but wouldn't light on it's own.

Now it gets interesting, I plugged the ICP back in, and hooked up Forescan.

ICP showed 0, cranked and it went up to 3350 PSI, as the IPR climbed from 14.3% to 55%. Then stayed at 328 PSI for a while, until I unhooked the laptop.

So, I'm thinking glow plugs and needed wizardry, then try again. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
I would pull the valve covers and crank it a see if you have an injector dumping the high pressure oil. I'm thinkin the right vavle cover, for 1 it is harder to get to, an 2 the icp reads in the left one

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Thank you Doc.

I should add, I did not pull the fuel filter and look, I may do that, just to see. Bowl heater has been unhooked years ago. Fuses good, IDM gets power, ( passed buzz test), PCM has power, ( tach and WTS work). Fuel level is verified at 1/2 tank.

Putting that in here for posterity if anybody comes along behind getting one running.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
So today after the daily disasters, I once again approached this thing with fresh charged batteries and an attitude. HPOP was still full, with black oil from the pan, so I knew it was getting supplied. But, the rails in the heads were still not full. So, I cranked. And cranked. And cranked some more. With breaks for the starter to cool of course. Once I was getting good fuel smoke, it got a small snort if ether. ( Glow plugs unhooked of course).

And it started. It ran really rough, so I reached up and unplugged the leaking ICP sensor, and it immediately began improving. I ran it a while, and it was improving, but it needs some more run time for sure.

So, I'll get an air cleaner of some sort on it and run it some before going further. I did get both front wheels pointed the same direction again, so making progress.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Not going to say for sure, but it's got lots of oil leaks, the ICP leaking may have let air in. Truck was neglected, abused, wrecked, abandoned for 2+ years, now I've got it.

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Not going to say for sure, but it's got lots of oil leaks, the ICP leaking may have let air in. Truck was neglected, abused, wrecked, abandoned for 2+ years, now I've got it.

Not sure if that is any better[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Ok, so got it running, drove it some, it really cleared up considerably. Has an intermittent miss, showed to be #5 during a contribution test, although it passed the test. Not sure what that means, maybe a sticky injector? The oil is horrible.

So time will tell, if I get to mess with it further or sell it first. We'll see.

Ok, so got it running, drove it some, it really cleared up considerably. Has an intermittent miss, showed to be #5 during a contribution test, although it passed the test. Not sure what that means, maybe a sticky injector? The oil is horrible.

So time will tell, if I get to mess with it further or sell it first. We'll see.

Change the oil , I bet it loosens up

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Agreed. I can't understand why folks neglect the maintenance on those engines. So much relies on clean oil in a 7.3, but, if you see the truck in person you'd understand. It had trash piled inside up to the windows, lights knocked out everywhere, filthy filthy.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Shame. Obs aren’t getting any newer

It is. I remember this particular truck when the previous owner bought it. It was beautiful. Interior was spotless, shiny new paint, he drove it by to show us after he bought it. I'd love to bring it back, but so much is needed the dollars don't make sense.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Well, I ran it, drove it some, it started running much better. Never completely cleared up, but ran much better.

I ran a cylinder contribution test and it passed, #5 seemed a little off.

Last word a friend was going to buy the engine, we'll see what happens.

Ford Truck Articles