Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling out my hair

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
95 F250. Had an occasional violent shake in the front of the truck. Went through the front end, ball joints, tie rod ends ect. All good and tight, took it to the shop and they couldn't find a reason for it. Yesterday I replaced the radial arm bushings, drivers side was shot. Thought I had it fixed. Now it shakes violently above 45-50mph. Sooner if you hit a bump in the road. It will stop if you slow down to 20mph and accelerate again. As soon as you get up to speed it starts shaking again. I'm at a loss, no one can find the problem. HELP PLEASE

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Just put two new tires and had all four balanced. No movement in the wheel bearings. I even have replaced the gear box and had a new steering shaft put in

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
How's the rag joint?
I know you said new box, but the rag joint could have play in it, and only act up on occasion

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
rag joint?
Steering stabilizer is of unknown age. I raised the front end up, too the front wheels off and tried to move everything with a prybar. Nothing moved that wasnt supposed too

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Rag joint is the rubber coupling that connects the steering wheel to the steering box. It can get sloppy at times. The stabilizer can feel okay while testing, but can provide some short term vibration while driving, especially when hitting bumps. The vibration will go away after slowing down or stopping. Problem will reappear after hitting another bump, pothole, etc.

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Ohhh, ok. No have not checked that, make it a point to do so. I know the steering shaft down to the box was replaced (junk yard) a couple of years ago because of the slop in the steering. I'll check that tomorrow as well and report back. Thank you very much

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Well so far no luck. I'm looking into my late brothers advice. Take off the radiator cap and drive another truck under it... There is a car lot here in town with an 06 F350 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke with 237k miles on it. Its a former Arizona truck with no rust spots and a ding in the tailgate. Runs strong, drives like new and within my budget on payments. If the loan is approved I'm trading this F250 in on it.

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Tomorrow I'm headed to check out a 2006 F250 4X4 6.0 with 240k miles. Looks like its in almost perfect shape. The only body issues is some small rust holes above the rear wheel fenders. If its in as good as shape as I'm told, its a steal at 7500.00
Will post pics if I decide to pull the trigger on it.

Ford Truck Articles