Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

pointless thread: using solar or wind on the truck for something

i think it'd be neat to do something with solar or wind to the truck and run something electrical off of it.

1) what could i run that isn't "core" to the truck...more just for fun
2) i'm thinking that solar would be fine to charge a battery b/c i park outside. wind is another option...charge when i drive

problems:
-i'm cheap
-i'm terrible at electrical stuff
-i have no idea what i want to run on it, but it seems like fun.

i'm thinking about something mounted on the toolbox, roof rack, etc
...something to talk about

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I don't know if they actually "run" anything off of it but the PD uses little solar panels on the dash and hooked to the battery on vehicles that sit for long periods of time without use (swat armored car etc) to keep the batteries charged.

I don't know if they actually "run" anything off of it but the PD uses little solar panels on the dash and hooked to the battery on vehicles that sit for long periods of time without use (swat armored car etc) to keep the batteries charged.
yea, i think car dealerships will do the same...just a "battery maintainer"

googling for a few minutes about solar and wind use on cars, people were talking about how wind isn't that beneficial b/c of added drag of the fan. ...i'm already driving a brick, and i'm not talking about a 36" shop fan. either way, solar seems more practical.

i think it'd be neat to do something with solar or wind to the truck and run something electrical off of it.

1) what could i run that isn't "core" to the truck...more just for fun
2) i'm thinking that solar would be fine to charge a battery b/c i park outside. wind is another option...charge when i drive

problems:
-i'm cheap
-i'm terrible at electrical stuff
-i have no idea what i want to run on it, but it seems like fun.

i'm thinking about something mounted on the toolbox, roof rack, etc
...something to talk about

Good news and Bad news:

The bad news is solar is your only option, and it would have to be placed behind your cab (on your toolbox like you said) or on your windshield pointing directly at the sun.

The good news is Bass Pro sells one for a little under $150 YelloThumbUphttp://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_73589?cm_mmc=froogle-_-200-3-4-_--1-_-38-827-678-00&hvarAID=46KY&mr:trackingCode=C6D6309C-7265-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

You could use a windmill while driving, but you'd ALWAYS be operating at a net energy loss due to The Law of Conservation of Energy. *In this case...adding a good amount of wind resistance for a little bit of electricity* :)

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
How about a wind powered climate control set up. It shouldn't be difficult. When you or your passengers get hot, roll down the windows. :p :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts