Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Interesting History - 4wd Ford Falcon Ute

4wd_Falcon.jpg

http://www.4wdonline.com/Ford/Falcon.html

Ford Falcon 4WD.

Ford Australia had a fairly serious try at a four wheel drive with a 4WD based on the Ford Falcon XY ute of the early 1970s. Apparently 432 were built in Brisbane for sale in Queensland and NSW. The 4WD Falcon had the 4 litre 6-cylinder engine, Spicer transfer-case and leaf springs front and rear. Tougher Australian Design Rules (ADR) caused production to be stopped.

Falcon XY 4X4
The compliance plate reads FORD 4X4 UTILITY 1971
- John Thornhill.
The 4WD Falcon XY ute was an official Ford project, but from time to time enthusiasts have had similar ideas. For example now and again you might see a Ford Falcon station wagon or panel van mounted an a Land Rover or Toyota LandCruiser chassis and running gear - a simple if heavy way to get a car interior with rugged off-road ability.

Ford's main rival, General Motors Holden does not seem to have seriously entertained a home-grown four wheel drive but the GM Holden Overlander conversion was produced in modest numbers for a while. Other Australian 4WDs, on a larger scale, include Caldwell Vale, Oka and RFW.

- 4wd.sofcom.com/4WD.html

From the Mail: Some background to the Falcon 4WD. I was the sales coordinator for Ford Sales Company in Brisbane Plant when they were produced and I drove every one of the 430 (if my memory is accurate) produced.

Origin - each year back then Ford used to give some money to each State Office to use to develop a new model idea. One of my Brisbane colleagues, who was a parts rep' figured that seeing Ford sold engines to Jeep for the CJ5 produced in Brisbane then it should be possible to easily fit Jeep running gear to a Falcon as the transmission adaptors etc already existed. If I recall correctly this turned out to be correct with only a few unique parts that couldn't be sourced from original existing parts. One of these was a wedge to go under the carburettor as the angles were different.

Because we were late into the XY model, testing was carried out immediately prior to planned production, and here some snags arose. I saw the test "mule" after its tests and it was pretty sad. The main problems were the need for some strengtheners at the base of the A pillar and the B pillar but most important the front axle was not strong enough. The 430 bodies were produced as the had to be before XY runout and put in the back yard of the plant. Ordering and delivery of the axles then took over a year! And the utes were built as XY's almost a year into the XA model run.

When they were finally produced we made them all on weekends as they required unique parts and would have disrupted the production line if made during the week, hence I drove every one from the final rectification line to the gate for shipping.

The reason that only the 430 were made and no more was not so much ADR's but that the XA body was thought not as strong as the XY due to its frameless door construction and testing would have had to be done again, something that Ford did not want to know about considering the problems building the XY's and the large amount of money they lost on the exercise.

I remember that a mining company rang me one day while we were finally building them and wanted to order 100! Several wagons were made from utes by dealers in the following years as the ute shared its floorpan with the wagon. The most I believe were made by Leo Wignall in Euroa Victoria and he has quite a record with Ford conversions. Think how the 4WD market may be different today if Ford had made a 4WD wagon. I believe that they would have sold a great many.
- Philip Armbruster

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Very cool....

Found this also...neat:

http://www.truckjungle.com/2012/08/18/aussie-classic-xy-falcon-4x4-ute/

Aussie Classic: Ford XY Falcon 4×4 Ute
Published on August 18, 2012 | By Mark Oastler |

Why Ford killed it

Despite widespread demand from the public and motoring press to continue the 4×4 ute program with the XA model and beyond, Ford called it quits.

Numerous theories have abounded over the past four decades as to why, including claims that the 4×4 design could not meet tough new ADR crash safety standards, or that the new XA body design with its long door openings was not rigid enough.

According to Marsden, though, the decision not to continue was determined by the same accountants that had approved the XY production run. It was simply that Ford lost so much money on the Falcon 4×4 ute program that to start all over again with the XA just did not stack up as a sensible business case.

However, what the XY program did do was alert Ford to growing local demand for the more luxurious breed of 4×4 light truck that was doing big business in the US, as part a boom in what the Yanks were calling ‘recreational vehicles’ or ‘RVs’ for short.

The answer was to start imports of the 4×4 version of Ford’s popular F-series truck from the US, at a much higher price premium, to satisfy that market need. Which it did brilliantly of course. And, through private import companies, continues to this day. And we can thank the XY Falcon 4×4 ute for playing a part in that. TJ

- See more at: http://www.truckjungle.com/2012/08/18/aussie-classic-xy-falcon-4x4-ute/#sthash.UkuEwlQU.dpuf

I've never spotted one in the flesh Ken ..... plenty of them got dropped onto landcruiser frames here once the landcruiser body had rusted off but even those are getting thin on the ground here. Even trying to get a standard one of these utes in average condition is an expensive exercise now.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles