Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New build

Not really a new build, but a project I drove for a few years then parked, waiting for the right time to start building it.

The truck is a '71 F100 shortwide 2wd. I paid $250 for it back in the mid 90's, put an engine in it and drove it for awhile. It has power steering, power disc breaks. I put an S code 390 in it out of a mid 60's Galaxie, then thought it jumped the timing chain, so I parked it. Fast forward 11 years, I pull it out of the linup and start working on it. Turns out the timing chain was fine, the distributor cap was broken around the bottom and had twisted a little bit (which made it act like timing was out). I started putting parts back on it that I had robbed over the years (carb, power steering pump, alt, headlights, grill inserts). I dumped the oil and put ATF in the engine, primed the carb and she started right up! Still needs a little tuning, maybe plugs and wires, but runs great!. I had a nice set of wheels stashed, waiting for a project, so they went on. Tires on the back are a set of 32" BFG atko's, front are a set of 235's I had lying around. The grill apron is a little bent up, but I've got another, the grill inserts are good. I've got a spare fender for the passenger side, and lots of spare parts such as emblems and trim and such. I've got a couple of different sets of bucket seats (leather out of a 92 Explorer, or cloth out of god knows what!).

Trying to do this on the cheap, now is the perfect time for a cheap project. I'm gonna have to buy a windshield, paint, and eventually tires. I've got enough stuff to build a nice dual exhaust, and also an aluminum toolbox for the bed. Just need to weld up some of the holes from trim I'm gonna delete and get to sanding. I'll try and get some pics up later, heres some of it setting on the patio next to my 69 Bronco "Bodine". The truck goes by "Shorty", by the way. I'm getting pretty excited to be building a hotrod of sorts, since I sold my Mustang last year!smilieFordlogo

http://s1010.photobucket.com/home/mustangtoby2001/recentuploads

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Sounds like a good build. I'd love to see some pics!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd drive it...looks like a nice project. Also looks like you have good taste in Fords from the other pics.

I've got a whole mess of them, prefer the 67 through 79 trucks, and 60's cars. Prefer, still love all of them, though, LOL. The luxury of the new ones is nice, and I'm really interested in the new 5.0 Mustang, just can't afford one for another couple of years. Eventually...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Nice trucks!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
By the way, UTfball, love your pics. Especially the 77 and the Bronco, very nice.

Thanks man...the 77 is my baby. The Bronco is down at the moment, so I'm a tad pissed, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. That being said...go ahead and call me Ben.

You got it Ben. I've got a 76, Probably my next project after I finish this 71. It's a hi-boy, heavy front end, and I've also put an S-code 390 in it. Pretty solid, just a little rust over the back tires. The rest is solid. Freeze plugs fall out of it every year (anti-freeze or not), soon I need to throw some in it so I can use it to haul water. I think you can see it in one of the pics I posted on my link above. I've got a set of 35" boggers on it right now, no lift and no rubbing, lol.

So what's wrong with the Bronco?

On another note, tonight I pulled the grill apron off of "Shorty", and got the radiator support sanded and painted. I'm gonna replace the passenger fender, thats for tomorrow night. Sanding sucks! So does 40 year old rusted bolts...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You got it Ben. I've got a 76, Probably my next project after I finish this 71. It's a hi-boy, heavy front end, and I've also put an S-code 390 in it. Pretty solid, just a little rust over the back tires. The rest is solid. Freeze plugs fall out of it every year (anti-freeze or not), soon I need to throw some in it so I can use it to haul water. I think you can see it in one of the pics I posted on my link above. I've got a set of 35" boggers on it right now, no lift and no rubbing, lol.?

Can't wait to see more on the 76. Boggers for the win...got a set of 37's on my 77 right now, no lift...no rubbing. I've been blessed with now spring sag though. IMO, Boggers bring the 73-79's to a whole new level of cool.

So what's wrong with the Bronco?

Jumped time 25-30*...and I just swapped that engine in back in October. Then I decided to tear in to it again last month to regasket and reseal everything. Then Monday, it decided to jump time. Roll pin in the dizzy is goos as is the gear, springs in the dizzy are good. Oil pump rolls just fine. So that leaves the cam bolt or the new cam gear (which I wasn't impressed with the quality, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the cam gear). So I'm just a little ticked I have to go back in again and it hasn't been any of the easy stuff to fix.

On another note, tonight I pulled the grill apron off of "Shorty", and got the radiator support sanded and painted. I'm gonna replace the passenger fender, thats for tomorrow night. Sanding sucks! So does 40 year old rusted bolts...

Here here...prep work sucks.

Just a little update, been working my butt of on the shorty, and tied up on lots of other things are keeping me from it too. Broke a u-joint in my Bronco, just got that fixed.
Primed a good passenger fender and got it mounted, changed out the grill apron and painted the radiator support while I had it off. Don't sound like much, but it sure was a lot of work, and it's been extremely hot. Progress little by little. I'm gonna go get tags for it pretty soon, so I can drive it a little bit. I'll try and get some pics up on photobucket tomorrow, too dark tonight when I finished up.smilieFordlogo

Got another one! 71 longbed F100, this one's 4x4! I got it from my brother, it was my grandpa's truck. He passed away in the late 90's, and my aunt got the truck, and her husband abused it on the farm until it wouldn't run anymore. He tipped it on it's side once, so the body is a little beat up.

Anyway, it sat for about 5 years, and my little brother talked them out of it. He got it running, but it has really funky steering on it. We put power steering off of a 78 Bronco on it for my grandpa back in the 90's, and it doesn't drive very well (that's why my uncle tipped it over).

Long story short, I had a welder my brother wanted, and we swapped. I just drove it home from his house, and the 390 my grandpa built is super strong. It would spin on gravel in 4th gear if you dump the clutch with some high revs, and will spin at will in 3rd. I even got it to chirp in third on pavement!

The truck as a whole is pretty rough. I haven't decided to fix it or part it. I'm thinking real seriously about parting it and using the front end in shorty, do a 4x4 conversion. Some lift and 35" tires on a short bed would be awsome. For now I think I'll just pull the engine and put it in the shorty, cause I like the power it's making. It has the crappy transfer case without low range, but I can find one of those pretty easy. This is probably the route I will take, but I may change my mind and fix it. I also have a 76 High boy, so I don't really need another truck, and this one needs a lot of work. And I don't have a title for it, I don't think my aunt will give it up (she's getting a little senile herself!).

One other bonus; it's got the dealer installed A/C under the dash. I'm gonna be able to keep cool!

Last edited:
So I got a chance to look this truck over a little better, and it's even rougher than I remember. The dana 44 in the front is drum brakes, no power assist. The power steering is crappy, but that doesn't explain why it doesn't drive very well. I think the highway tread bias ply tires have more to do with it than anything. The body is pretty sad overall, the bed is probably the only good sheetmetal on it. It does have a good windshield, which is a bonus. Very little trim left, and whats there isn't in very good shape (although some of it is salvagable). The more I look at it, the more I think it's just a parts truck. That's not a bad thing, except it will piss off my aunt. That's not really a bad thing either, LOL

Here's a pic of the truck, plus a couple more of the shortbed.
http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af229/mustangtoby2001/

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd keep using it as a beater. Then your shorty can be your street truck and your 76 can be freshened up some.

Yeah, it sounds good. But I beat all my stuff, so I don't really nead one for beating alone. I want the engine out of it for shorty, but instead of parting it I may sell it to my brother in law. He needs a truck, and I've got lots of parts for it. I can give him the engine thats in Shorty right now for it, he'd be set if he's willing to put in some elbow grease. I've got a 71 highboy that I've parted out, still lots of good parts. It would be better than parting out another truck, hate to see another one bite the dust. I am still thinking about it, but thats probably how I'll go. So many options...

Been out playing with it this morning a little bit. My son is home on leave right now, haven't touched it for over a week. Spent the last four days at the lake, now plenty sunburned and sore. No time to work on it until after he leaves, but can still look at it and dream about what to do. Not that it hasn't been good to spend some time with him, he's been in Korea for the last year, heading for Ft Bragg when he leaves here. At least he's back in the states now.

On another note, I should be able to make some good headway when I finally get to work on it. Next will be pulling the engine and detailing the engine compartment, painting the engine, new clutch, rebuilding a dual exhaust (I'm still young enough to put some 18" cherry bombs on it!), then put it all back together and back to sanding. Been driving me nuts to look at it set while I've got parts and plans!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts