Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

LED bulbs and transmissions

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
My mechanic advised me today that his transmission dealer told them that LED bulbs can cause the transmission to fail. He said that the LED's use some of the same voltage to power them as the transmission does, and that they screw with the transmission and causes it to change shift points and overheats them and kills them. Has any one here heard of this? I have 13 LED's in my truck, so if this is true I would be a very top candidate for this type of transmission failure, otherwise I am having a hard time believing this because my transmission shifts great and has since I got the truck.

Thanks
Mike

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Actually that would not surprised me at all... Some of the electrical circuits in these trucks are very strange... I remember when I removed the fuse for the dome light while I was working on some stuff in the cab. Drove it without putting the dome light fuse back in and the transmission went into limp mode... Ehhh, dome light + transmission? Seemingly no relation...

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Yes, the LEDs and transmission (PCM and solenoids in the tranny) are both powered by the same power source, which is your battery. I see no way changing incandescent bulbs to LEDs could affect the tranny!

Fellro

Staff member
I can't see how a bulb can affect tras shifting, unless you had hooked it up to the tranny..... Pulling a fuse is one thing, but unless the LED's pull more power than an incandescent, which I don't believe they do, then I can't see any relationship.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thats like, change the intake on your truck, and the radio goes bad. I agree with Fellro, unless its wired into one of the trans circuits, nope, it will do nothing.

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
Thank you guys for responses, you all make great points. I don't see any other reason why a mechanic would tell me that unless he wanted to dig a job out of me or something, but in this case, he wasn't, so I had no choice except to have some concern. But I guess I will keep monitoring it in the mean time, but I am sure its fine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts