Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Restoration of 1972 Ford Camper Special

Camper_Special1972

1974 Camper special
Hey y'all im just coming upon my dream truck a 1972 ford camper special and i am buying it for $200, needless to say she needs alot of elbow grease and some good ol fashioned TLC. the gal i am buying her from is more interested in getting rid of it then getting money for it. i am very much a do it yourselfer, everything from residing a house to building a room on the inside to welding a trailer from scratch ive probably done it. i also have access to industrial metal, wood, and auto shops. now while i am not very knowledgeable of mechanics (Other than airplanes) i have my grandfather (A mechanic of 40 years) and several friends and HS teachers to help me restore this ol girl. i would like some ideas on where to start and what should be done, step by step guides are very helpful as well. also talk about projects is very welcome.

Thanks y'all
Brandon

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like a sweet score. The first thing to do is get it mechanically sound and reliable. And this can vary anywhere from a visual check and go to a complete rebuild of engine, tranny, axles. But I'd start by measuring the stroke and making sure it's a 390. Then I'd tear the thing down to a short block to regasket and reseal...and that will give you an opportunity to see if the internals are good or if you'll need a new rotating assembly or any machine work. When you get all that thrown back together, I'd start on the tranny (which is probably only a 4 speed, unless there's been a swap). Then on to the axles. Then on to electrical. Then start your body work.

Keep in mind, some of these may not have to happen, you may just be able to turn the key and drive for the next 100k. But at the very least, I'd swap all fluids. After that I'd reseal, regasket, re-bearing, re-bushing everything you can afford. And if your drivetrain isn't losing fluids in any way, or making any weird/bad noises then you should be fine.

Camper_Special1972

1974 Camper special
Correction

Well thank you she is damn sweet, the gal im buying her from couldnt have been anymore off on the specifications lol. she is a long bed ford F254 camper special, year is 1974 and the engine is a 6 cylinder, not an 8, ive done a quicky visual insepction and since looking at it one of the tires has been slashed so i will have to find a new front tire to drive her across town on. im moving this to the 6th generation folder since she is indeed a 6th generation truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts