Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to weld fix on a Bronco stress cracks adjacent to the steering box on the cross member

Any tips or kits or How to perform a better weld fix on a Bronco stress cracks adjacent to the steering box on the cross member bottom to chassis on a 1986? XLT

I feel that a local parts and tire auto place placed the rack arm on the wrong place while lifting, and a day or so the steering wheel went sideways to the right,
I had a performance muffler shop weld like a metal U sandwich plate it lasted for 3 months, and reading some threads I saw they used a fix with longer bolts on a 4WD 79, and weld or thicker plates , or some kit, Any help is appreciated thanks up front

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
stop drill the ends of the cracks and then grind down the frame along the crack.. once thats done weld it back up... when your done grind the weld flush... if you wish you can also weld a gusset plate around the outside of the frame to give it additional support..

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Are the bolts just going through the frame or are there tubes in the frame for the bolts to go through. The lack of or missing tubes could be the culprit

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles