Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust manifold bolt removal advise please..

I've got a '73 with a 360c.i. FE, and I have heard of headache and bolt breaks on these. I've got an exhaust donut leaking on the factory manifold, and I also
have a pair of headers, I have been reluctant to attempt to install, because I am skeered of the bolts breaking. Any tips or advise?
Thank you, FoT

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
A day before you are going to remove the manifolds, spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster on the bolts. The next day start up the engine and let it warm up, then shut off. This will get heat into the exhaust bolts. Using a small breaker bar, just 'crack' the bolts loose, you will be surprised that it's not that bad for them to break free. I just bumped the breaker bar with my palm, do NOT use full force on the bar. Then let the engine cool down so you can handle the rest of the removal without burning your hands. I had the same issue with my cast manifolds and put on shorty headers. The only thing I wished is that I did it sooner. I have pic's in my gallery of the removal.

Last edited:

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Here's one pic showing the manifold removed. I used only a 3/8" breaker bar.
IMG_1643.JPG

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
The absolute best way I've found to remove exhaust bolts is either run the truck to operating temps then immediately take them out. The heads expand and release some of the tension...

Cold removal is the quickest way to break bolts

Fellro

Staff member
The reason FE's are notoriously known for exhaust bolt breakage is because the back of the bolt is exposed, unlike the majority of motors out there. The good thing about it is you can also hose it down from the back side with penetrating oil. I wasn't lucky enough to be able to run the one I had with broken bolts, but again, the good part is the back side is accessible, so the worst case is you have to drill through and you can then put a nut on... The blind bolts are the ones you don't want to break.

Ford Truck Articles