Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Glow plug relay mess?

Here is another mystery for us...terminal usaully energizing the relay from the controller is jumped via a fused jumper and the negative terminal seems to be switched from inside the cab?
I probed the negative terminal with a test light and got juice , when the button is hit, I loose the the light...what am I missing here?

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
The base of the relay needs to be grounded, and the positive input controlled by the switch. The 2nd small terminal I want to say is not needed. It has been a while since I messed with one, and will be a few days until I get a look again. It almost sounds like they were trying to control it by controlling the ground, however, that is not the way this relay works.

Just did some testing out on mine, apparently its not gettting grounded from the base, the other terminal needs to be grounded in order to energise the relay, it also runs to the negative side of the glow plug lamp in the cab.
So it looks like they are switching the ground like you mention.I will post my findings in the other glow plug post
Thanks Fellro

Ford Truck Articles