Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 cold start reflash

blacksnapon

Staff member
There is going to be a broadcast on ford tv today on a new reflash for cold start issues at 2:30. It wont have the buzz. I'll keep you posted.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
There is going to be a broadcast on ford tv today on a new reflash for cold start issues at 2:30. It wont have the buzz. I'll keep you posted.
Please do! Thanks Vince. Also, on a personal note, are flashes such as this a warranty thing or do we have to pay? I don't know how that works. I'd prefer to come see you to have it done. I REALLY don't trust my local tech.

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK, heres the skinny...the new flash uses inductive heat to eliminate stiction in the injectors. There is voltage pulses to the injector coils in between injector events, which inductively heats only the interface between spool and endcap. Essentially, its using the coil as a transformer.Models that have been reflashed with the "buzz" flash dont need this one. You can still get it done, just go to the dealer and complain about the buzz. If its warranty, they will take care of you. If its past warranty, it will cost you. It will work on all 6.0 models--03-07, econoline, and excursion. They will start releasing the flash over the space of 2 weeks.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
OK, heres the skinny...the new flash uses inductive heat to eliminate stiction in the injectors. There is voltage pulses to the injector coils in between injector events, which inductively heats only the interface between spool and endcap. Essentially, its using the coil as a transformer.Models that have been reflashed with the "buzz" flash dont need this one. You can still get it done, just go to the dealer and complain about the buzz. If its warranty, they will take care of you. If its past warranty, it will cost you. It will work on all 6.0 models--03-07, econoline, and excursion. They will start releasing the flash over the space of 2 weeks.
So, basically, I'm probably going to have to pay for the newer flash then. :) They'll just tell me my cold start issues are due to my modifications. I guess I could argue I don't have any. :) You know, be like all the other liars out there. lol So, how much does a flash cost from your dealership Vince? Is it something I'd have to schedule? Thanks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
So, basically, I'm probably going to have to pay for the newer flash then. :) They'll just tell me my cold start issues are due to my modifications. I guess I could argue I don't have any. :) You know, be like all the other liars out there. lol So, how much does a flash cost from your dealership Vince? Is it something I'd have to schedule? Thanks.
It hasn't been sent over the net yet, but I'll keep you posted. I'll check to see how much the charge is (I dont deal with money). Right now, all there is, is the "buzz" flash.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well I don't know guys. I am just a dumb california boy who never got into working on cars and am only on my first diesel. So I guess I don't know if it even gets cold enough out here on the west coast to have a "cold start issue" and if I did have an issue I am not sure I would know it. When I get in my truck I turn the key to get the lights on and when the little coil light thing on the dash goes off I turn the key to start it. Sometimes it cranks a few times and fires up (I would guess it never cranks more then 5-10 seconds before firing up.)

I know it cranks more the my gas suburban when it starts but I always assumed that was normal.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you are experiencing the cold start issues, it will blow black/white smoke-spit and sputter, and generally run really bad for a few minutes.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
If you are experiencing the cold start issues, it will blow black/white smoke-spit and sputter, and generally run really bad for a few minutes.
Oh yeah, got that issue BIG time. I just thought it was due to the Stage II injectors though.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Of course it wouldnt be because that thing isnt running on the original design perameters, would it?

Ford Truck Articles