Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Baked VGT Turbo?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Alrighty, Bowtie or Blacksnapon, I may have finally done some damage. I hadn't run her hard for a few weeks, so two days ago, I pushed her a bit to stretch her out.

As soon as I finished a little run, the Turbo is now making a weird whistle noise. I had to look in the rearview mirror when I let off because it sounded like a police siren coming up. I didn't see anything so I gave it a bit of gas to get going down the road again and when she spools up or down, it sounds like a police siren.

I popped the hood when I got in the driveway at home and noticed that the intake pipe had come undone. I loosend all the clamps and realigned it and pushed it back together and tightned everything back up and figured it fixed. Next morning, still doing it. I'm pretty sure the everything on the intake side is secure, but with the hood up and it cold, it sounds like the whistle is coming from the filter. Could I have damaged the compressor side of the wheel?

What I'll admit to that might be important:
#1 Yes, I have a K&N. When she was apart in Dec, I looked over the turbo pretty close and didn't see any evidence of dusting.

#2 Ok, so I saw the EGT's peakaround 1950-2000* and yeah, it was running well over 100. I'd have to guess that it was over 1500* for about 15-20 seconds. Also, I noticed that when I let off for the upcoming corner, it held boost with no throttle. Around 20-25 lbs too. I though that odd. :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
You might have some sticking vanes, allowing full boost at all times. It will be fun at first, then you'll have to get your wallet out. When we clean a turbo, we also replace the vgt solenoid for one with better oil control. I don't have those part numbers, but I'll look them up.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
does it do it at idle as well? i had one that was doing it and it was the right side up pipe with a very small exhaust leak. if it will do it at idle, unplug the vgt actuator. if it goes away, you need to check for a small exhaust leak on the right up pipe where the rings (flexjoint) are on the pipe.

blacksnapon

Staff member
with your modifications to the pipes back there, do you have welds that have broken? (He's deleted the egr)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
does it do it at idle as well? i had one that was doing it and it was the right side up pipe with a very small exhaust leak. if it will do it at idle, unplug the vgt actuator. if it goes away, you need to check for a small exhaust leak on the right up pipe where the rings (flexjoint) are on the pipe.
Yes, it does it t idle as well. Almost seems more at idle. I'll give unplugging it a try.

blacksnapon said:
with your modifications to the pipes back there, do you have welds that have broken? (He's deleted the egr)
Yes, there is a plate welded where the EGR scoop used to be. I have noticed a bit of exhaust smell, but I think I had noticed it even before this. But, at 2000*, I could have melted a weld. At least I can take that pipe off easier than the turbo. :)

Thanks guys!! My buddy wanted to pull the turbo and throw the spare on. Was going to allow all day tomorrow to do that. I'd have spent alot of loabor money for nothing most likely. Oh how I love a forum such as this!!

I'll let you know when we get it figured out.

Ford Truck Articles