Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 F150 tranny swap options,

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hiya every one I was thinking of getting my C6 rebuilt but I was wondering what kind of tranny could I slap behind my 302 with not much modding, some thing with over drive like a AOD? any ideas would be awesome.
Thanks guys.:)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I *think* (but I don't really know too much) that an AOD should be a pretty easy swap behind the 302, since I know Ford built F-150s with 302s and AODs in the late '80s.

I don't think the AOD is nearly as stout as the C6, though. Which, depending on how much power your motor makes, and what you do with the truck, may or may not be an issue.

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
in your case i think whoever you took the c6 to wld be a good source of information. you might ask them what they might recommend if you wanted to go with something with an overdrive for mileage instead of the rebuild or at a later date. some of the smaller shops around here will sit and bs with ya if you ask questions and they think it'll be more work you'd be bringing to them. that might give you a lead on what to research if you intend to do the swap yourself. seriously if a shop guy won't take the time to talk to me like i have a brain i don't bother taking my stuff to them but that's because i've had men refuse to talk to me about my own vehicles because i'm a woman. that's alright by me, there are plenty of other places that don't have that small minded problem anymore.

post up what you find out. i want to put a 5 spd standard in mine someday so i'd be interested in hearing about it.

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
well i know i'd have to put the pedals in but i don't know what kinda hell that wld be. the floor panel was modular but they welded it instead of bolting in the plate to cover the hole so i'd have to cut that out *the old hs shop teacher wld do that for me or teach me i'm sure* and then just getting one that'd bolt up and all the rest of everything to match up and i don't know what all that'd take either. i do know i have the last cross member that'll match my truck out of the last yard in town... when i did my motor swap i found one of the bolt holes was broken out and on was the search. they don't keep old stuff around here very much. at least not when you call them they don't seem to. i keep getting told they crush anything over 20 years old :(

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
An AOD would be just fine behind your 302. That's pretty much what they were made for. They aren't as stout as the C6, but still will do OK. If you want the OD, it would be the best and cheapest stock tranny for you.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thanks every one. This truck is just my daily driver her working days are long over. I know its hard to beat a c6 but they suck like 30% of the engines power is what I've read on a few tranny sites and I know where I can get a aod for next to nothing..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts