Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

It's Official?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well its not likely that ford is going to drop out of the oil burning game, so i wonder if they are working on a new diesel engine, or if they are going to buy from someone else...
Maybe they are buying out cummins! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I had heard Ford and Navistar were having major disputes for a while, and that Ford was gonna be making in-house oil burners.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea ive known of the ford navistar dispute, but never heard what is going to replace the PowerStroke.
You know how many Ford tech's are going to have to go back and re learn oil burners now?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Well its not likely that ford is going to drop out of the oil burning game, so i wonder if they are working on a new diesel engine, or if they are going to buy from someone else...
Maybe they are buying out cummins! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Ford already owns Cummins. They've had it for a long time now. The only reason they don't put them in Ford trucks is a contract clause concerning Dodges exclusive right to use them in their pickups. At least that's what I've been told.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Rob, I heard that too. Actually I believe I read that in FourWheeler magazine. I dunno the parameters of the contract, but it would be awesome if Dodge came to the end of their contract/lease and Ford reclaimed the rights.

I do not know where the "Ford owns Cummins" rumor got started but even if FMC does own stock in CMI (which is normal for any public corporation) they do not own enough of it to show up in the major owners list. The SEC requires any entity declare their holdings in a corporation when ownership is greater or equal to 5%. Check it out...
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=CMI

It should not be long before the techs are trained on the new engine if FMC's timeline is Dec 09.

Michigan
Yes ford owns nothing of cummins....

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
So is there any word on what ford is going to do? are they going in house or turning to some body like Cat or Detroit?

Michigan
Toyota was looking to cat to put in their HD tundra. Even had press articles out saying how the new tundra will have a cat, well CAT disagreed. They DO NOT want to get into the light duty diesel market. They are not set up for mass production small diesels.

I thought it was a done deal on the new 6.7L diesel that ford is going to make? What happened to that?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I have read about the "Scorpion" 6.7L

The Scorpion 6.7L diesel engine is a FMC in-house engine. It has been slated to replace the 6.4 starting with the 2011 MY trucks. FMC has stated for the last few years that the 6.4 would be the last Navistar produced engine that it used in light duty trucks and would stop using it with the launch of the 2011 MY.

www.autoblog.com/2008/10/08/spy-shots-ford-super-dutys-new-6-7l-scorpion-diesel

www.trucktrend.com/features/news/20...s_scorpion_diesel_v8_spotted_again/index.html

"Power Stroke" name is a registered trademark owned by FMC not Navistar, and as such FMC can use the name on any platform or engine it chooses.

www.powerstrokediesel.com/index.asp?PageId=307
www.powerstroke.org

FMC has not owned any part of Cummins since the late 1990's and at there there maximum ownership was about 11% of Cummins. It just seems this rumor will never die.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE7D71E3EF93BA15754C0A966958260

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D00E4D61439F937A35752C0A961958260

www.smokershistory.com/cummins.htm

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Great info blackhat, cleared lots of stuff up for me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts