Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Took my turbo apart and it looks like a squirrel munched it up.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
The unison ring is all corroded, thats why i pulled her apart, but what the heck is this all about? My first instinct was the bearings went and it was rubbing something, but there are absolutely no wear marks on anything, and the bearings are really tight. i cant get any slack on them whatsoever. my next guess it something got munched up in there. But with a stock air cleaner, i dont see a bird going through the turbo or anything.

heres the turbine wheel.

attachment.php

so do i need to swap this guy out, and which one do i get? it looks easy to swap, but ive never done it.

recommendations from those that know PLEASE.

Attachments

• Turbo.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Holy crap Tater. Shawn (Sparky83) here has worked on those turbos before..once he sees this he will prolly have some good info.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I'm wondering if my egr let a nugget through that hung up in a vein and did this. Either way. I guess I need a new one.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't know...that should buff out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
does anyone know if that turbine wheel is replaceable in itself. Is it one piece with the shaft?

Last edited:
Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
so, after thinking about this, since this turbine is on the hot side, that means whatever got in there came from the exhaust side of the engine. which means that either i had an injector tip come out or the dealership dropped a nugget when they did my injectors.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
mine hasn't been cleaned, but it looks to me like either foriegn body entered, orrrr over speed, which would be consistent with my veins being frozen on wide open mode?

Ford Truck Articles