Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

It's Official?

From what I have read I personally do not see Cat getting into the light duty diesel market. I think after the sour deal with Navistar, Ford will want to have control over the design and development process. Although not mentioned in the article I think the 6.7L is a done deal. I am pretty sure the "Powerstroke" name is going away as well.

FMC has stated for the last few years that the 6.4 would be the last Navistar produced engine that it used in light duty trucks and would stop using it with the launch of the 2011 MY.

The article I posted said that the timeline was moved up from 2011 to Dec, 2009. So I am guessing 2010 will be a shortened production year with the MY 2011 coming out early.?

blacksnapon

Staff member
It should not be long before the techs are trained on the new engine if FMC's timeline is Dec 09.
At our dealership, I was the first to go for training on the 6.0, and we had them on the lot all ready.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Tell everybody what engine they had for you to train on at that 6.0 training session, Vince...
They (St.Louis training center) didn't have a 6.0, so I got my training with a 7.3, cylinder head cutaways, a couple of injectors, and an egr valve. Got back to the dealership with my certification, and they said "Theres a 6.0 outside that wont start". So, I went after it not sure which end was which.

At our dealership, I was the first to go for training on the 6.0, and we had them on the lot all ready.

Yeah I think that was a big lesson learned for Ford. Not managed real well at all. I am sure that the training will be out before the engine is released for production this time around no?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah I think that was a big lesson learned for Ford. Not managed real well at all. I am sure that the training will be out before the engine is released for production this time around no?
Yeah, they were more prepared with the 6.4. I had roughly 3 months before the first one hit the drive.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The article I posted said that the timeline was moved up from 2011 to Dec, 2009. So I am guessing 2010 will be a shortened production year with the MY 2011 coming out early.?

2011 in the article refers to MY designation of the truck, not actual calendar year. FMC is notorious for releasing there vehicles early. The 6.0 was an early release date, so an early release of the 2011 6.7 will be no problem for FMC. Also just because Navistar stops shipping engine after 12/31/2009 it does not mean that FMC will not still have 6.4 engines in the warehouse to fill orders.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
From what I have read I personally do not see Cat getting into the light duty diesel market.

Caterpillar has stated numerous times that they have no interest in the light duty diesel market, as this is not their niche.

Although not mentioned in the article I think the 6.7L is a done deal.

The 6.7 has been in the works during production of the 6.0, and it has been a poorly gaurded secrect by FMC that it would role out in 2011 and replace Navistar engines in the Ford light duty trucks.

I am pretty sure the "Powerstroke" name is going away as well.

It may or may not be shelved by FMC. Just depends how there marketing department wants to use this registered trademark.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The 6.0 was a running change during the MY 2003 thus the designation MY 2003.25. I had an early '03 with a 7.3. I think it was around Nov. '02 that the 6.0 was installed.

smiliewhathesaid

Yep FMC has no problem changing direction in mid-stream. They roll out new model years and changes as it suits them, and they rarely consult the calendar.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
So will the new ford oilier been any better then the Navstars? more power better Mpg or just the same ol song n dance?

Ford Truck Articles