Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hot rodding a windsor...

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Alright boys opinions and info needed..

I want to build my 77 LTD II into a solid street performer, not a barn burner, but something i can run down the strip and not get laughed at...

Heres what im thinking..
Headers
Edelbrock intake/Edelbrock 650 carb
Mild cam
GT40 heads
Early timing set
and of course things like a K&N, etc.

Do you think that sounds like a good combo? This would be my first motor build and i wanna do it cost effective but still have it run decent.

Or would i be better off pulling the 400 outta my 78 1ton, which already has some work done, swapping my bellhousing and getting a flexplate, and calling it a day?

I also want to regear it from the road cruiser 2.50s to something a lil more snappy, like maybe some 3.55s. What vehicles came with something in that range in 28 spline axles?

Axle spline doens't matter if all you want is the gears. As long as its the same rear. 9", 8" I'm guessing it has a 9" in it

As for the gears. you should be able to fint some 3;55 or 3;73 from a truck.
But when you can buy new gears from summit for under $200 why borther.

As for the engine I think i put some real heads on it. The heads are the weak link to any Windsor when it come to making any power. Best head for the money is Trickflow Trackheat 170. you can buy them new from Summit complete for $1100. and they will out last the car.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I was hoping just to get a 3rd member.

I dont know if your going to find it that way with the gear you want. But im pretty sure that 2WD trucks are 28 spline.

I think all the 2wd F150 were 28 And the 4wd F150 and Bronco were 31 axles.
I know you can find 9" rears in F150 all the way up to 1985 or 6.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Ill have to check into that i thought they were all 35

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts