Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351m Upgrades? 4bbl carb

So i have a good running 78 Ford 2wd with a 351m. Motor runs really good right now, all stock. but i want some more go from it. obvisoully i dont expect to get a major amount of power but anything has to be better then the stock 2bbl carb.

I have seen the edelbrock manifolds and stuff and i Have an edelbrock 600cfm mechanical secondary carb. but im wondering if for now i could buy a 2bbl to 4bbl adapter plate from shucks or autozone if itd be worth the trouble to hook it up and use a stock manifold. i know a 4bbl manifold would benefit more but with my budget right now i cant afford one and i have the edelbrock carb sitting here just waiting to go on. hahaha.

also looking at headers, an RV cam, eventually a new manifold, msd box, mas coil, full 3" exhaust, flowmaster race mufflers, a double roller timing chain and a full gasket set.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For starters...the adapter is fine, ran a 4bbl carb to the stock manifold for a couple of years. However, biggest bang for your buck will be swapping in a 400 crank. Next best upgrade is cam. Seems this trucks respond well to DEH-255 or XE262 Comp Cams. A good set of cheap headers will come from Hooker. As for the exhaust, you gonna run a single or double? If double 3", that's too much...you'll wanna be in the 2.25-2.5" range. Beyond that, sounds like you have it figured out.

The 400 crank swap is a good idea, but IMO if you are budget limited a RV type cam($109) and Summit has headers for around $100. We just took a 77 400 in a 77 F250HD converted to dually, added Summit's mildest cam, ign recurve and Summit brand headers with 2 1/2" dual exhaust with H pipe. Also went with Weiand's action plus intake and a 600 cfm Holley carb. With chrome valvecovers,14x3 chrome air filter, new timing chain and all gaskets this ran $923.71 to our shop door.
What a difference this made! Now he has the power to haul/tow all the things he wants at 75 mph with ease, No more having to floor it with 4 yds dirt in the dump to keep up with traffic and he says it's twice as good as before.
Carb adapter will work, IMO thereare bigger gains in other places.

Ford Truck Articles