Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Scrap Metal

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I like to make extra money picking up scrap metal here in NC. How easy is it to do there?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
In my town, you get to know some people, if they have scrap, pick it up, take it to the recycling center, they weigh ya, dump it off, they weigh ya again, give ya a receipt, and then ya go into the office and pick up your payment.

There's a few guys who come around my neighborhood driving really slow, and when they see people out side, they ask them if they have any scrap metal they want hauled off.

Fellro

Staff member
You might go to the local scrap metal buyer and learn the sorts. If you sort out the metals, you can maximize the payments you receive. If you are willing to spend some time tearing things apart, you can get a little more cash, but keep in mind the amount of time you spend on it. If you aren't worried about the time, then it isn't an issue. Also find out what all they DO NOT accept. I have a place I can get rid of appliances, but have to drive a couple hours away to do it, so not exactly a regular run. For the most part, there isn't many places in this state that accept freezers and refrigerators without a disposal license, and many of them still don't take them. That is why I have to go so far. I happen to still have need to go there every so often, so I take a load once in a while when I have to make the run anyway.

Best things for separating and getting good return is a/c units. The coils are a premium, and f you want to go so far as getting the copper coils out of the compressors, the return is pretty good. Best cash I got was tearing down ice makers, the chiller was solid copper, and it was HEAVY... Stainless steel pizza ovens did pretty good separated, as did aluminum and stainless coolers. It was a restaurant cleanup job.... General tin these days is doing decent as well. I recommend a trailer if you can, doesn't have to be big, car hauler size is generally adequate, but you can sort the better paying stuff onto the truck, and the tin can be piled on the trailer. Talk to the mechanics shops, see if they have someone taking the scrap, maybe offer to pay a percentage if you wish. Brake rotors, hubs, halfshafts all pay well with minimal work. I take care o a local tire and service shop, and as a part of the service of taking the scrap, I take ALL the scrap, the good paying and the lesser paying. Someone else has been picking up the rotors occasionally, but rarely take the lesser stuff. I don't pay, so I don't complain. Some shops have their scrap locked up too, hard to say exactly why.

Watch for ads in the free stuff section on Craig's list plenty of people post up to come get stuff.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You might go to the local scrap metal buyer and learn the sorts. If you sort out the metals, you can maximize the payments you receive. If you are willing to spend some time tearing things apart, you can get a little more cash, but keep in mind the amount of time you spend on it. If you aren't worried about the time, then it isn't an issue. Also find out what all they DO NOT accept. I have a place I can get rid of appliances, but have to drive a couple hours away to do it, so not exactly a regular run. For the most part, there isn't many places in this state that accept freezers and refrigerators without a disposal license, and many of them still don't take them. That is why I have to go so far. I happen to still have need to go there every so often, so I take a load once in a while when I have to make the run anyway.

Best things for separating and getting good return is a/c units. The coils are a premium, and f you want to go so far as getting the copper coils out of the compressors, the return is pretty good. Best cash I got was tearing down ice makers, the chiller was solid copper, and it was HEAVY... Stainless steel pizza ovens did pretty good separated, as did aluminum and stainless coolers. It was a restaurant cleanup job.... General tin these days is doing decent as well. I recommend a trailer if you can, doesn't have to be big, car hauler size is generally adequate, but you can sort the better paying stuff onto the truck, and the tin can be piled on the trailer. Talk to the mechanics shops, see if they have someone taking the scrap, maybe offer to pay a percentage if you wish. Brake rotors, hubs, halfshafts all pay well with minimal work. I take care o a local tire and service shop, and as a part of the service of taking the scrap, I take ALL the scrap, the good paying and the lesser paying. Someone else has been picking up the rotors occasionally, but rarely take the lesser stuff. I don't pay, so I don't complain. Some shops have their scrap locked up too, hard to say exactly why.

Watch for ads in the free stuff section on Craig's list plenty of people post up to come get stuff.

Thanks for the tips. I also watch CL and freecycle.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Cool I found a F350 crewcab LB with a 351W for a little money. It will help when we move there.Counting the days.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
GSD????????????

German Shepherd Dog.

100_1239.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
so thats where your F100 is....... dam.. thats sad..

ouch Shaun you are getting ragged on by the person taking a month to do a one day job. Thats bad lmao

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Cliff...did you see the there was group of folks in Charlotte that were stealing vases from cemetaries and selling them for scrap????

There was also a case here in Salisbury of people stealing A/C copper pipes and scrapping it. There were quite a few strip malls with no A/C in July and August because of it.

And finally, some kids my brother went to high school with, really good boys, actually...got caught stealing from private property and scrapping whatever they found. One of them is the County Commisioners brother, one went to Catawba on a full academic scholarship, and one went somewhere in Va on a football scholarship.

Cliff, do you happen to know of a place that will take a stripped down engine, basically short blocks and some junked t-cases? Will most places take these in as scrap?

Fellro

Staff member
Most scrap buying places will take them that way, they pay better totally tore down and separated.

Had a new school construction that had all the copper piping stolen out of it while it was still being built. They got caught because the scrap yard was a little suspicious because it was ll new stuff. There have been cases of manhole covers being stolen off of city streets too, that has to raise a few questions you would think... If they aren't connected to a municipality, they won't have access to them...:rolleyes:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Cliff...did you see the there was group of folks in Charlotte that were stealing vases from cemetaries and selling them for scrap????

There was also a case here in Salisbury of people stealing A/C copper pipes and scrapping it. There were quite a few strip malls with no A/C in July and August because of it.

And finally, some kids my brother went to high school with, really good boys, actually...got caught stealing from private property and scrapping whatever they found. One of them is the County Commisioners brother, one went to Catawba on a full academic scholarship, and one went somewhere in Va on a football scholarship.

Cliff, do you happen to know of a place that will take a stripped down engine, basically short blocks and some junked t-cases? Will most places take these in as scrap?

If you don't want to mess with it let me know and I will come pick them up
and haul them away along with appliances if you know of any. And Yes Robert is right most scrap places will take it with no problems.

Ford Truck Articles