Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electrical issues

korg70kbc

California Chapter member
2733251880036932923yOiGFi_th.jpg

Here is 1 of many shots I have of the electrical under the dash. st, what is up with the red/blue wire having new wires jumped into it? Also, note the cuts in the other wires. Note pic #10 & does anyone have a clue what this is???? http://thumb3.webshots.net/t/72/72/4/36/83/2744436830036932923COFUIP_th.jpg

I have to go in & rotate etc these pics & name them. There is also a problem with http://thumb3.webshots.net/t/71/71/9/37/81/2874937810036932923EFkmZJ_th.jpg this. Its bent & has no rubber anymore. Not good I think.
I will resend this thread when I'm not ready to throw a hammer thru my stinkin' computer. Its giving m problms &Iwant to break it

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
any way to make the pics bigger.
and where are the wires coming/going??
If they are hooking up to a stereo or car alarm then god only knows that kind of Frankenstein job was done.
This was alot of the problems on my trucks people had hacked and slashed the wiring to all hell and gone I would pull it all out and just rewire them in right don't try and patch up some one else's wiring work most aftermarket place's do some of the worst wiring jobs on earth.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Okay you're only linking to the thumbnails, so those pictures are really small. Lemme help:

Click "link to it"
upl4401039040.jpg

Here you're choosing the size you want to use, so go ahead and click the 600 for '600 pixels'
upl2212217457.png

Click on the direct link to image link:
upl6269565011.png

Copy and paste that link over here and then surround it in tags like this:

[PLAIN][img]http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/41849/2733251880036932923S600x600Q85.jpg[/PLAIN]

It'll come out like this:

2733251880036932923S600x600Q85.jpg

korg70kbc

I could email them. I thought the links would allow u too blow them up. The wires are under my steering wheel & I haven't a clue where they go yet. I just found this yesturday & have been trying to get a diagram on the wiring so I can have u guys help.
I'm going crazy at this point cuz something is draining my batteries when the truck is off!!!!

korg70kbc

Last edited:

korg70kbc

I had them 'remove' the alarm a couple of days ago. They take no responsibility for any of it. I told them a couple of weeks ago I tried to disconnect the alarm & when I got under the dash, they had pulled every wire they could get their hands on & zip tied them so tight I had to use a razor to remove it, when I did, the power came back on at full force. The power surges & makes the lights bright then dim. After they removed the alarm, which they were going to charge me until I said I could of RIPPED it out like you did, but it will cost 75 bucks to reinstall it & they left a mess. Not to mention, so did someone else. The yellow wire pic was a thing I found yesturday. I do know that it IS still hooked up. I also have a switch that no one seems to know what it goes too.
I bought this truck used, my ex wanted me to be happy, then he blew the tranny & I took it from him, thats why the alarm. I have most of the kinks worked out, except this one. Which BTW, my mechanic told me I was crazy, there is no problem!! Until 2 weeks ago when he put that yellow crap on my terminals & I lost all power 2 days later.
Come hell or high water, I will fix this stuff, cuz I have spent many thousands of $$$$ keeping this truck in good shape. So I thought.
The 'elbow' I have a pc of I just found also. I know its in bad shape & can't believe NO ONE noticed it!!!1
This is the reason I want all the specs, so I can tell people that are intelligent what the problem is.
\Thanks for ur input

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm at kind of a loss... I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help you here since there is no one specific problem that you're having...

Is there any way you can be more clear about exactly where the problem exists and what symptoms it's causing? I see the mess of difference colored wires in the pic above but from that picture it appears to me that everything is connect to where it needs to be...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Those butt connectors are the worst thing in the world for reliable electronic repairs. Unfortunately, they're fast, so everybody uses them. The first step would be to disconnect the connections, one wire at a time, and solder them securely to eliminate any possibility of bad connections. I have a feeling your problem lies there anyway.

The yellow wire looks after market and would have to be traced to find out where it goes.

The lights surging could be the voltage regulator in the alternator or something (a load) going off and on or as blacksnapon said a bad connection.

Last edited:
Those butt connectors are the worst thing in the world for reliable electronic repairs. Unfortunately, they're fast, so everybody uses them. The first step would be to disconnect the connections, one wire at a time, and solder them securely to eliminate any possibility of bad connections. I have a feeling your problem lies there anyway.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid Vince is a pro! Those things are horrible. I know...places use them to install alarms and junk, but.....they have shorts and cause all sorts of issues.

A real stereo shop won't use them (at least they didn't years ago) to install high end components and speakers.

Solder each connection and use shrink tubing (if possible). As Vince said...one wire at a time. I am not even fond of electrical tape over a soldered joint.

korg70kbc

If the plug in the photo is the Ignition Switch plug as it looks like it might be some of the wire colors are wrong for your truck.
Someone may have cut off the original and installed a pig tail harness with different wire colors.

Here is a diagram of what the colors for your truck should be:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/541/medium/1999_D_F_Ignition_Sw.JPG
so the red/blue stripe is ??? And why on earth would the grey/yellow stripe be cut open? It seems most of the wires shouldn't be there! The truck is dead tonight. So, I'll have to continue in the a.m. pisses me off.

blue/red stripe is always instrumentation lighting

red/blue stripe I am pretty sure is an AUX power source

EDIT:Here you go.

99powermanagement1-1.jpg

99powermanagement2-1.jpg

Last edited:

korg70kbc

the yellow wire goes out to a blue wire & ends on a hose near a ground. see image.
2068177000036932923S600x600Q85.jpg
2441102230036932923S600x600Q85.jpg

Anyone that wants to look at the pics & maybe u can figure it out. I'd be very grateful. I'm so frustrated trying to trace where everything goes without making the problems worse. Hence the reason I was looking for the original colors of the harness so I could figure out what was spliced into what.
There are so many wires that are just cut! And too many with electrical tape as their connection.
I'll try to make my pics with better descriptions of what we are looking at. I think I'll just remove the dash at this point cuz there are 5 wires one of which goes towards instrument panel then was cut & shoved up behind the fuse panel. LOL!!!!! This is one way to learn......

korg70kbc

If the plug in the photo is the Ignition Switch plug as it looks like it might be some of the wire colors are wrong for your truck.
Someone may have cut off the original and installed a pig tail harness with different wire colors.

Here is a diagram of what the colors for your truck should be:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/541/medium/1999_D_F_Ignition_Sw.JPG
BTW, thank u, this does help. Some of the wires are the same, but not that red/blue stripe one.

Ford uses the red wire with a blue stripe for the starter circuit to the fuse box on your truck.
See this diagram:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/541/medium/1999_D_F_Start.JPG

I am very sorry some how I was looking at the wrong pin out yesterday and have re-posted it. Please disregard what I said yesterday.
This is the right pin outs (I hope):

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/541/medium/1999_D_F_Ignition_Switch.JPG

That diagram that was posted is wrong for your truck but some of the wires are right.
Email me your email address and I will email you some diagrams for your truck and if you can not read the ones in the links I will email them too.
MY email address is below.
I do not know what he meant buy AUX source, but sometimes it is a power outlet for electronic devices.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts