Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuse Tap Question (Duncan!)

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is safe/up to code to use two fuse taps on one fuse slot. With my running board re wire I was thinking of doing this. The total draw for both taps would be around 1.2 amps, so not huge. What say you?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It would be nice for you to know what the circuit that you are tapping onto so as to make sure that you are not overloading the existing wiring, but my first guess would be that for that small load you would be fine.
For your fuse size, you want to be 125% of your load....so if your load is 1.2 amps, go with a 2 amp fuse.
I'm also assuming that you are going with one of the prebuilt devices?
http://www.parts-express.com/littelfuse-add-a-circuit-fuseholder-for-ato-atc-fuses--071-580

460Trucker

It would be nice for you to know what the circuit that you are tapping onto so as to make sure that you are not overloading the existing wiring, but my first guess would be that for that small load you would be fine.
For your fuse size, you want to be 125% of your load....so if your load is 1.2 amps, go with a 2 amp fuse.
I'm also assuming that you are going with one of the prebuilt devices?
http://www.parts-express.com/littelfuse-add-a-circuit-fuseholder-for-ato-atc-fuses--071-580

I was not aware they made those. I was going to use the spade type taps that clip on to an existing fuse. The smallest one I have according to the diagram sticker on the panel door is 5 amps.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the type you are referring to...got a link?

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly...I don't want you to find the smallest circuit...what I'm wanting you to find out is what the circuit is for that you want to tap into and ideally find out what the supply wire size is.

460Trucker

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ahh...ok. I don't have any wiring diagrams for that era of truck, if you could find one it would be helpful...having said that, I really can't see a wire under 18 gauge used to supply that circuit, so I can't see an issue for the load you are talking about.

460Trucker

I can try and locate one. There may be one in my Haynes manual.
Ok. Would you think it may be a safety issue? Or does such a small draw for the lights make the use of 2 taps for one circuit acceptable?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm sure it will be fine but it would be nice to know what size the wire is that actually feeds it.
Do you see what I am getting at?...all circuits will be fed by a certain size wire depending on what that particular circuit is feeding...and then protected by a certain sized fuse.
It is possible (but unlikely) that an existing circuit could be overloaded by piggybacking fuses which would then exceed the upstream feed wire.
I just like to know what I'm dealing with when I add items to existing wiring.
An example would be when I upgraded my quad headlights from 35/35 to 60/55...I was able to see from the wiring diagram that the wiring was capable of handling it.

460Trucker

Ooooh now I get what you are saying. I will get back to you tomorrow on the details of that circuit. Thanks Duncan! YelloThumbUp

460Trucker

Can't seem to locate a diagram, but on a fuse diagram it is circuit #10.
It is for instrument lighting, rated for 4 amps. Sounds like it would work, 12 lights total between two switches. These are the ones you said would be around .1-.2 amps a piece. (For reference, Blazer International Part # CW1531A)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Without seeing a diagram I don't want to say 100%, but an educated guess would say it's ok.

460Trucker

460Trucker

Disregard, the above post. I found one in my Haynes manual, here's a picture!

0306141343_zpsa88d8b1c.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is there a fuse layout?

460Trucker

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Unfortunately that doesn't show the power distribution, it looks like the ECM wiring.

460Trucker

Dang. I find anything different I will be sure to post. Thanks again for your assistance!

460Trucker

Thought of this, instead of tapping 3 fuse slots (1 for each switch), can i just splice one switches power wire into another? I would imagine that would work seeing as the switch opens/closes the circuit.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thought of this, instead of tapping 3 fuse slots (1 for each switch), can i just splice one switches power wire into another? I would imagine that would work seeing as the switch opens/closes the circuit.

I assumed that is what you were doing, one fused circuit will be enough for what you are doing.
The other option which would make sure everything is 100% safe, given that there is no access to a wiring diagram would be to locate a fuse that is active when the ignition is on and use that to activate the coil of a relay, where you have run a fused wire right from the battery to the normally open contacts on the relay.
Then run the other side to your switch assembly.
The bonus of doing this is that you know what the size of the conductor is that you ran and then if you decided to run more things, you can.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts