Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can someone check this out...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What exactly are you asking Doc?...if you are asking if that looks like it would work for something, then yes...are the bottom pieces relays/solenoids?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think it's a wiring diagram. That help? :wasntme:

^^^And a schematic.

Seriously though...with as little as I know about eletrical work and as much as I dislike it...I think I understood that graphic.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
What exactly are you asking Doc?...if you are asking if that looks like it would work for something, then yes...are the bottom pieces relays/solenoids?

The bottom pieces are lights to show the switch is on. The switches are to replace the ingnition switch on the truck for the pushbutton start I am working on for it...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The bottom pieces are lights to show the switch is on. The switches are to replace the ingnition switch on the truck for the pushbutton start I am working on for it...

Then yes, that will do what you are asking.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
SCHWEET! Thanks dude!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Please have your wife take pictures when you test it the first time! We wanna see it when you look like Duncan's avatar!!! smilieFordlogo smiliegitrdone

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
LOL I think I have this on lock! Dude this is going to be easier than I thought!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Not that Duncan needs anybody to back up what he says, but i confirm what he says. That will do what you need it to. Watch amp draw on those wires though, it may be safer to go through a relay.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Don...and if he is just using those switches with the existing circuits and just adding indicator lamps, he should be OK.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks good to me.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I concur Duncers, but i would rather take a little more time to wire up a relay than to take a chance of burning docs truck to the ground. Just an extra safety step is all it is...
He did say he was gunna get the 60amp set up, which should be plenty for what he is doing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I concur Duncers, but i would rather take a little more time to wire up a relay than to take a chance of burning docs truck to the ground. Just an extra safety step is all it is...
He did say he was gunna get the 60amp set up, which should be plenty for what he is doing.

Not be be a smart you know what..but if all he is doing is replacing the ignition with that setup, there should be practically no more load added, other than the indicator lamps..and if they are LED, we are talking in the region on 20mA...12V lamps might be 1/2 watt. Adding relays can actually cause issues sometimes unless a diode is placed across the coil, I'd be more worried about inductive spikes on an ECM than the addition of small loads. Now, if we were talking adding heavier loads, I would agree 100%. :beer:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
But how much load does the power wires take for the ignition?
Im simply speaking cause i dont know what the amps are running through that wire.
But you are right, there really is no added load justifying the relay...

Oh and you do sounds like a smart you know what, probably cause you are. Which is why i very rarely question you and i am usually wrong when i do. :beer:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
But how much load does the power wires take for the ignition?
Im simply speaking cause i dont know what the amps are running through that wire.
But you are right, there really is no added load justifying the relay...

Oh and you do sounds like a smart you know what, probably cause you are. Which is why i very rarely question you and i am usually wrong when i do. :beer:

I was under the impression that the switches that Doc was adding were to replace the existing ignition switch...bypassing the OEM key with start function...so there would be no additional load with the exception of the added indicator lamps. Let me add though..it is indeed a pleasure to talk to someone that understands schtuff like this!

The resistance Ignition wire allows for 7-9 volts after it leaves the key switch and heads for the coil.

Ignition switch: 12 volts in..12 volts out....then it travels through the resistance wire
all the heavy current draw is handled by the starter relay

73_74PointIgnition.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The resistance Ignition wire allows for 7-9 volts after it leaves the key switch and heads for the coil.

Ignition switch : 12 volts in..12 volts out....then it travels through the resistance wire

On a new truck ECM controlled?..I am aware of the old trucks utilizing this....but in any case, it would not have any bearing on the schematic Doc showed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts