Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

optima yellow top battery

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so my battery is pretty much half way out the window right now. i need a new one and have been eyeing the optima yellow top battery. i guess you could say it might be a little overkill but i dont think so. does anybody have one and are they a good battery?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I have two actually. Had them for three years so far and no issues. However, a buddy that owns a garage says he's never had one that lasted over a year. Funny, I've always had good luck with batteries. :) My ol' 96 Ford F-250 had it's original factory battery for 8 years before I had to replace it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've never had an Optima battery so you can throw what I say out the window...but I hear about a 50/50 mix on whether Optima's are worth it or not. Some guys have the best luck with them, others say they're not worth the price, and others don't have any better luck with them as other batteries. For me, I like Motorcraft batteries. I picked up an 850cca MC from O'Reilly's 5 years ago for Red...and she's still kicking strong. I got a 750cca MC from O'Reilly's over the summer for right around $75-80, and I thought that was fairly cheap and hoping for the same results as the 850cca.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The only downside and problem i had with them is they are expensive as hell, and I didn't seem to notice any difference between it and the regular oriely's battery I have now. I did notice with the regular one I have now, It has more cranking power than the optima did. SO that is why I went it it instead of the yelow top.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
thanks for the replies. i just picked up an optima red top battery from work. we had it sitting on the shelf....its in great condition and tests out perfect. 700CCA and about 890 CA. cant complain too much for $50! haha ill see how it goes

my truck died last night from a dead battery and wouldnt start this morning.......hence my need to get a new one. i bought a brand new battery a year ago for $140 (not an optima) and it got stolen when i had it out of the truck when i was working on it. so i got a referbished battery for $20 and its gone out the window now

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Internal construction, plate construction and size, number of deep cycles available...here is some good reading:
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/manual.pdf
We have used these batteries for a number of years in both automotive/RV applications as well as inverter applications...out of around 150 units, we have never had one fail...we use 8 of them (8D) in our work truck.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The 8D's are huge...you would want a group 31 for an automotive application...give those places a call....they are gonna cost more, but it is well worth it...the 8D deliver 1975CA at 68F, down to 1350CA at 0F....we have it set up so all 8 (10800-15800CA) can be tied into the existing 3 starting batteries...sure spins the starter over quickly!!

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The 8D's are huge...you would want a group 31 for an automotive application...give those places a call....they are gonna cost more, but it is well worth it...the 8D deliver 1975CA at 68F, down to 1350CA at 0F....we have it set up so all 8 (10800-15800CA) can be tied into the existing 3 starting batteries...sure spins the starter over quickly!!
Sounds like a Tim Allen script!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles