Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB radios

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I just found out that with a mag-mount Wilson 1000 or 5000, I can unscrew the coil to remove it along with the stinger and leave the magnet stuck on my roof (and consequently not screw with the wire routing).

All of a sudden, a Wilson 5000 with the short-load whip is looking like a real good bet, except for the price.

What kind of money are you talking about for the 5000, Ian?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If you aren't running a big amp, the 1000 will be great. The 5000 would be over kill.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What kind of money are you talking about for the 5000, Ian?

With the short load whip (39" instead of 62", and a little more expensive) I'm seeing the 5000 for around $90-100. Being that it's a mag-mount, that includes coax, too.

Tony- I know I don't really need the 5000 for a barefoot Uniden 68, but I'm not 100% sure if the 1000 comes apart like the 5000 does, or if it's as available with the short load, and it's not that much cheaper than the 5000 anyway. If the 1000 comes apart, and I can get the short load whip with it, I'll probably just get it, but the price differences I'm seeing aren't enough to justify losing any of the features I want to save the $$.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Well, that answers that, then. Thanks.

Assuming you're happy with it, since you didn't tell me not to buy one?

I had a similar sized mag-mount on before, but it was a cheap Radio Shack one. Even though my truck is slower than death, it blew off maybe 3-4 times in the two years I had it on there, and I knocked it off a couple more times. I'm told the Wilson has a better magnet, and is pretty tough as far as trees and stuff. That your experience?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'll try.

I might even succeed- I need to get up at 5 to register for classes, and it's not worth going back to bed, so I'll have a few hours to kill... :headbang:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
wow sorry to revive an old thread..I have now and have always run a Cobra 29 LTD classic...peaked and tuned...with an RK 56 Mike..although i need a new mic....I also have an oldold 25 classic.If i had a choice I'd go for a Galaxy, a General Lee, or a Connex....although you can take the connex board out and throw it into the cobra........The 29 i got now will get about 5 miles with a magnetic though i haven't had it hooked up in a very very long time...Supposedly if you ground the antenna out, whether it be through the mount or an external ground cable, to the frame it makes your signal stronger and crisper.......Man I needa put my radio back in.........

The antenna is the ground.

The vehicle is commonly called The Ground Plane.

Depending on where the antenna (ae) are located your signal is stronger on the longer ground plane of the vehicle.

If you want I can explain it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I ended up buying a Uniden 68, and have a Wilson 1000 mag-mount on order.

Set the radio up with my crappy old mag-mount for my trip (since the Wilson isn't in yet) but the dumb thing disintegrated on me in Minnesota...

Ford Truck Articles