Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 F350 Chassis rusting?!

On my 04 F350 with only 38K highway miles, The damn chassis is rusting!
KIMG00101.JPG

Thats just one area. Its pretty spread out. And this is in SE Texas. Guess its body shop time....

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Ford
Fixed or rusting daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psst.. all trucks rust in that same spot... main reason.. the chasis isnt sealed like the body is..

Both my '87 and '89 didn't in that area. Also, My '01 Silverado didn't have ANY rust when I sold it in '14. 13 year old truck with 200K and no rust.....But an 11 year old Ford with only 38K and this looks like its been going on for a long time...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
my dads 03 silverado rusts that same spot.. as did my 87 s10.. reason being.. its exposed to more rain than the rest of the chasis due to the gap between the bed and the cab.. it runs down the cab and front bed panels saturating that spot in the frame... Now the newer Toyotas have started doing a variation of a bedliner on their frames to help seal them. newer fords and chevys have intermittently done a primer layer.. but depends on the models for them 2.. quite a few owners have taken to doing it themselves to stop the issue,,

Well, If you look close, Its under the bed rail and not so much the body gap. When I get a chance, I'm going to start calling body shops for a chassis repaint. They're going to think I'm nuts. Maybe I am. But I want a $40K truck to stay a $40K truck, Know what I mean?...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Well, If you look close, Its under the bed rail and not so much the body gap. When I get a chance, I'm going to start calling body shops for a chassis repaint. They're going to think I'm nuts. Maybe I am. But I want a $40K truck to stay a $40K truck, Know what I mean?...

water doesnt travel in a straight line... it fans out.. this effect can even be seen with a leaky garden hose laying on the dry driveway.. it will zig zag down.. same happens with the frame..

and nahh on the nuts part... you should see the underbelly of my mustang.. its a pretty land of paint in the fight against rust..lol

IMG-20150425-00946_zps1kbmezaz.jpg

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
best way to combat rust on the bottom of a rig is to have a slow oil leak for a few years :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's like the herp Frank...gonna take a while before the effects wear off......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ford Truck Articles