Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time for move forward!!

Last week I dropped off my pickup for an engine, transmission and rear axle rebuild. Everything was working pretty well, but there were a lot fluid leaks and I know nothing major has been done in over 30 years, so this is preventive maintenance, plus I want it all looking nice. So far everything has been removed -- real fun begins next week.

Pict0408.jpg

Pict0417.jpg

Pict0409.jpg

I stopped by Performance Transmission earlier this week. They had the transmission all cleaned off and said that other than the rear seal it was in good shape. I hope to pick it up tomorrow, so maybe some more pictures...

Krylon??? I have some leftover house paint that I was gonna use. I might splurge for a new brush though.

Bryan, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person around. And the tranny ended up being relatively inexpensive. Once the shop got it all cleaned they said the innards were in pretty good shape, and recommended not replacing anything besides the seal.

You are lucky. I think my syncronizers (sp?) are worn. If I ever pull it, it will get them new as well as the bushings and seals. The bushings and seals are not that expensive. No clue on the syncronizers. They used the same trans (as mine) until the early 60s so parts should be available.

I have never been inside a manual trans.....[confused]

I am semi-mechanically inclined. More to the point...I can't afford to pay someone else, so I started learning and buying tools at age 14. LOL

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have never been inside a manual trans....

You can do it. Alot easier than an automatic. I had a 47 Mercury sedan that I broke the first and reverse cluster in it. I rebuilt it myself with no problems at all. I have also done a few truck 4 speeds.

Ford Truck Articles