Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM

dexleo2 is on a distinguished road
new member looking for help

Hello all,

New member and I really looking for some idea's on a problem I'm having on a 1978 ford f150 4X4 with a 351M. Okay here is my problem when I bought the truck the brake pedal would stick to the floor I could pull it back up with my foot under it and yes the brakes worked its just the pedal would not return up. So I Pulled the vacuum booster line out of the booster and the pedal returned to the upright position. So i bought a replacement booster with master cylinder, I kind of thought why not do them both together who knows how long the master cylinder would last so I replaced them both. Well same problem with the vacuum booster replaced.. Brakes work but pedal will not return... I'm out of ideas. again if I pull the vacuum line out of the booster the pedal will return... I'm at a loss any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you got a bad booster. New doesn't always mean good.
Randy
Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I seem to remember several different choices on the '78 booster/master cylinders, such as with or w/o cruise control, etc., etc. Make sure you have the right application, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 PM

thanks for the replies and you guys have kind of confirmed what I was fearing, So then is there a particular method to test the vacuum booster? I'm sure its the right part it matches the one that I took off of it assuming it had the right one on it...
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
1973/79 F100/350: There are TWENTY TWO different brake pedals, NINETEEN different master cylinders, SEVENTEEN different P/B boosters, SEVEN different clutch pedals, I kid you not!

Whatever booster is used, it has to match the brake pedal.

There's an ID number stamped on the brake pedal, post what it is.

2015 F150 XLT 2WD Stupor Crew
Old 01-22-2017, 09:03 AM

WOW... thats something I would have never guessed that many different styles are out there.. I just had my shoulder reworked and once it gets healed up and I have more movement in it I will get that number posted.. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKW View Post
1973/79 F100/350: There are TWENTY TWO different brake pedals, NINETEEN different master cylinders, SEVENTEEN different P/B boosters, SEVEN different clutch pedals, I kid you not!

Whatever booster is used, it has to match the brake pedal.

There's an ID number stamped on the brake pedal, post what it is.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexleo2 View Post
WOW... thats something I would have never guessed that many different styles are out there.. I just had my shoulder reworked and once it gets healed up and I have more movement in it I will get that number posted.. Thank you.
One trick you can try ,is a mirror ,or take snap shots at the pedal
with a camera or phone!...

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM

Well shoulders feeling great.. The weather is great... So i tore into the truck, Decided to tear the booster and master cylinder off again and check all the linkages and such. Well Needless to say I found the problem. The bolt in the bottom of the linkage on the out side of the firewall was rusted up and was the case of my problem.. So now on to the steering issues now that the brakes are back up and running!!!! Thanks for the idea's guys your the best!!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:28 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a glorious beacon of lightJasperrc is a glorious beacon of lightJasperrc is a glorious beacon of lightJasperrc is a glorious beacon of lightJasperrc is a glorious beacon of lightJasperrc is a glorious beacon of light
Good deal!

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."